Table saw recommendation

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mat1988, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Mat1988

Mat1988 New Member

Hi could someone recommend a table saw please. The more I read the more confused I get. I read mixed reviews on various saws.

It will be mainly for ripping sheet material down, skirting, making MDF shelving etc.
    Not cabinet making.

The more portable the better.

I'm currently on the dewalt battery platform and have a couple of flexvolt batteries. And numerous 18v and the flexvolt mitre saw which is fantastic.

DW745 or flexvolt
    Metabo ts216 or 254
    Makita mlt100

Or any other recommendations would be great.

It won't be used all the time. Maybe 1or 2 days per week. But only light use.
    (Although I have been asked to make a chess board soon )

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

2. Gringo28

Gringo28 Active Member

I'd recommend the metabo ts254.
    I was lucky enough to have a store nearby that stocked dewalt,makita and metabo so I could access them side by side.
    The only other one was bosch which I had already used on site.

3. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Have you looked into the alternative types of saw? Most prefer a track saw for ripping down sheets these days, and a mitre saw much better for skirting jobs. You could get pretty acceptable examples of both tools within that budget.
    I think the only place a table saw still holds an advantage in construction is ripping down long timber stock.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Have you thought about a track saw? You only need slightly less than half the workspace as well. I use mine far more than my table saw. In fact, I'm trying to think when I last used my table saw. Hmmm.....

Edit: see above.

KIAB and JustPhil like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bosch GTS10J saw,a good saw.

But, I would go with track saw, & sliding mitre saw.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Same here.

Haven't used table saw probably close to 2 years now, mitre saw & track saw can cover virtually everything I do.

7. Mat1988

Mat1988 New Member

Thanks for the fast reply. Regarding the skirting, architrave. sometimes it needs ripping down due to radiator pipes, waste pipes, or lining is too close to the wall. I was tempted by a track saw but I was going to upgrade My base on my current DeWalt circular saw so it runs on a track as per photo.

I would prefer a table saw due to making. Shelving and I think it would be more accurate and less time consuming measuring etc. I can set up a fence and cut a few bits all the same size without remeasuring, which I would with a track saw.

Thanks.

The metabo looks good and doesn't need an additional base.

Attached Files:

mr moose likes this.
  8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Track saws aren't so good for ripping down narrow pieces or lengths of timber where the track isn't supported well. In which case I use a circular saw with a rip fence or better still (much better) my 12" bandsaw - narrower kerf and better dust control.

Mat1988 likes this.
  9. Gringo28

Gringo28 Active Member

Th leg design is exceedingly clever. Its an all in one package.
    And compact and sturdy.
    I spent ages with my track saw ripping lengths on site. A table saw beats the track saw hands down in that regard.

The metabo has a quick release riving knife thats also a very useful feature.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Job and Knock and Mat1988 like this.
  10. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Fair enough sounds like you’ve thought it through :) trying to help by checking you haven’t missed something.

Mat1988 likes this.
  11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Its an absolute no brainer mate.

Just buy the Flexvolt. You already have the batteries and charger.

I had the DW745. Great saw.

But as soon as I saw a good deal on the Flexvolt (think I paid £599 inc vat for 3x 6ah batteries, saw, charger, brushless combi drill and a T-Stak) I grabbed it.

Superb saw. I don't regret it for a second. Works great with the Dewalt vac too.

Mat1988, WillyEckerslike and Jord86 like this.
  12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Start off with the reject first - MLT 100 was rubbish and I haven't heard that it has improved a lot since

The Metabo saw have had some good review but haven't used them myself

The DW745 looks to be a good saw from what I saw in a shop but there have been some murmurings about the noise it makes compared to others. Although when I used it, it was difficult to tell.

If you have the batteries already I would go with the DeWalt

However, have a think again about cutting full size boards on table saws. I have wrestled numerous times over the years cutting full size boards on a table saw. Unless you have a fixed setup with some really good stands or tables the cuts are about as good as you would have using a circular saw. So either rough cut them with a circular saw and then trim them on the table saw or better still save up and get a track saw.

13. Job and Knock

Job and Knock New Member

I've had a DW745 for about 4-1/2 years now. Good reliable package well up to dealing with ripping-down 1in oak all day long and the folding mobile base is really slick. One point - it likes to have an adequate power supply so it won't be happy running off a 3kVA transformer when cutting heavy section stuff. Like all of these site type saws works best with blades which are thin kerf and reduced tooth count. Reasonable dust extraction (run that off a separate power supply, though). Good fence design with high-low fence plate feature (meaning that you don't need to remove the crown guard to make a narrow bevel rip cut - necessary on some saws as the guard fouls the rip fence when the blade is tilted). Push stick clips to the rip fence when not in use - very handy.

Had the MLT100 before that - clunky base and a lot more plasticky. Bigger and clumsier too as well as noisy - but cheap in comparison. Tried the Bosch GTS10J and found it too small for me (tiny table top). Haven't tried the Metabo, though

I'll echo the comments about rail/plunge saw vs. table saw. To break-down 8 x 4ft sheets you need some form of rail/plunge saw set-up. Trimming to size is then faster and more consistent on the table saw. For ripping down studs, skirtings, etc and doing any sort of repetitive narrow cuts (up to about 300mm) the table saw wins hands down. Ideally you need both

14. Mat1988

Mat1988 New Member

I do have a 9ah and 6ah flexvolt battery so that should last me on the table saw. So I would only buy it as a bare unit. I did see someone selling it bare for £385 but out of stock ATM.

15. Mat1988

Mat1988 New Member

Thanks. I liked the sled option on the Makita. However I have read numerous reviews that echo yours.

So think that's made my descion on the Makita.

I would probably only be cutting halve sheets etc on the saw. Yes it would be cut with a circular saw then trimmed on a table saw for sheet material.

It will be run off of 240v so no ****** needed.

So it's either the flex volt or one of the metabo saws.

Not sure if anyone stocks metabo for me to look at. Which doesn't help .so just I can see the size of each.

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Thats the problem with some brands you can only see them online and can't go to a dealer to see them. I am in West Wales and all the tool shops with a wide range of stock and brands are 120 mile round trip which essentially writes off a day. Same with spares, I have a Metabo chop saw, nice little thing handy for cutting moulding as well as CLS but not much more. I forgot to that the hex nut holding the blade has a reverse thread, so damaged it trying to remove the blade. I took 3 weeks to get a replacement and cost me 99p and then £2.50 for postage. I would have bought a spare but Metabo UK only had 1 in the country. :oops::rolleyes:

17. Gringo28

Gringo28 Active Member

Its about 50 mile to my nearest metabo,dewalt, makita stockist. And I'd rather drive that than buy online. You have their on hand experience at your disposal.
    Plus they have an extensive showroom to swoon over.:D

18. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

yep been out for a very long time. If it detects flesh a "charge" goes off that cuts the electric and applies a break to the blade. Once triggered you have replace a cartridge to make it work again.

Many of us on here (myself included) have had incidents with all sorts of power tools over the years

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Yep, put my hand into my planer last year.

That had auto stop technology too.

It automatically stopped when my finger bones jammed it up.