Tacky skirtings!

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by RolandK, Sep 18, 2018.

1. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Installed new skirtings couple of weeks ago. Used decorators caulk on the top where they join the wall as usual. Two coats of acrylic primer undercoat followed by two coats of Dulux Quick Dry Eggshell.
    The tops of the skirtings where the caulk was applied are still a bit tacky after 10 days, rest of skirting dry ok.
    Will this eventually dry or do I need to do something! Done this new skirting process many times but this is a new one on me! Suggestions gratefully received.
    Cheers

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Leave it . I'm guessing you never gave the caulk enough time to dry and it's causing paint to stay stick.. Will dry eventually and then you will have to touch up if needed

3. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Thanks Wayners
    I was coming to the same conclusion. I need to get the job finished so hopefully won't take too long to go off. Else I'll have to dig it out and start again! More haste less speed!
    Cheers

Wayners likes this.
  4. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

I suppose I will get shot down in flames for saying this, but I'm very old-fashioned when it comes to decorators caulk. I absolutely hate the stuff. I prefer to use a standard cheap filler mixed with a small quantity of waterproof PVA to toughen it up and improve it's stickiness. It sets in minutes and I have never had it fail on me, unlike caulk which I have often found to be very disappointing.

5. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Interesting, PVA in the filler, never heard of that one. Would it make the filler less prone to cracking as that is a problem I've had in the past? Sooner or later cracks appear where the materials are moving against each other. On a diy basis I get on ok with the caulk normally but I think this time I just rushed things in a misguided attempt to finish the job quickly! The caulk I was using was Polycell which I've never used before so that may be a factor? Normally use something like Unibond. Still undecided on whether to wait to see if it dries or bite the bullet and dig it out, make good and start again. Ho hum!
    Cheers

6. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

Never had those problems with caulk. Admittedly some seem to crack more than others. I'm using a box of Geocel at moment, simply gun in, smooth with a 1 inch knife. The knife can leave a rumble strip effect if the skirting is old an uneven so I smooth that with a damp finger or sponge.

As for painting, that's 4 coats! I've started using Isolac, 2 coats covers everything on old wood without needing a primer.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Forget caulk and use paintable Frame sealant.

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

10. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select