Taking payment

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Alex217, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Alex217

Alex217 New Member

What are your preferred methods of taking payment (cash/invoice/card reader etc)?
    Do you spend a lot of time on invoicing?
    Does anyone use Square or iZettle and what are the costs?

Any help/advice much appreciated!

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Well-Known Member

Cash, cheque or bank transfer for me. And at the time of completion apart from bank transfer, unless agreed beforehand.

I am only a very small part time business these days though.

3. Alex217

Alex217 New Member

Thanks!

4. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Any payment that settles the invoice and doesn't bounce suit me!

gadget man likes this.
  5. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Bank transfer mostly. Get customer to send £1 then confirm before total amount is sent. Gets the payment conversation going. To many mistakes made with amounts sent to who knows where. Card readers are cheap now but I don't take many payments per month, so not worth me getting one

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Well-Known Member

Very rarely get cheques mostly Bacs payment, remember when it was all cash and used to hate putting it in the bank, Bacs has helped a lot as once it's banked you tend to leave it there

7. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

I use sum up, costs 1.69%. Money is in the bank around 3 days later. It's also great as it automatically raises the invoice for my books, so I don't have to spend time doing that later.

I prefer bank transfer, all my large invoices are paid that way. Otherwise cash, or cheque if they must (I can pay in via my phone but it's still a pain).

8. Alex217

Alex217 New Member

Thanks everyone. With bank transfer do you ever worry that you won't get paid and do customers ever ask to pay by card? I'm just asking because I've noticed a lot of small businesses using those portable card readers. I guess they wouldn't work for large amounts but I could be wrong.