Taking the Heat out of an argument about N.I.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Allsorts, Sep 23, 2018.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

He just moved his entire operation offshore

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Parroting your c/j mates?

3. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Filly told me to 'grow up' whilst posting his fav photo of t'Bob - a far far better person that Filly could ever hope to be.

Ironic, huh?

As for Dyson, ya wee fibber, I did explain a goodly while ago on an earlier Brexit thread why pro-European Dyson suddenly turned turtle and wanted a Brexit. The almost certain reason - the EU's insistence on improved electrical efficiency of vacuum cleaners. Add to that Dyson's turn-around on his committent to the UK - after he found he wasn't going to get what he wanted.

Ironic, huh?

Longsie 'liked' your fibbing post.

Not ironic, huh?

(What happens to you at a late hour, Filly? You often become seriously unpleasant person, liked by your sidekicks.)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  4. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

It was fact-based.

Apart from that, good point well made. As well made as always.

(Can you tell yer 'jit Filly that he was wrong. Or forgetful. Or summat. Thanks)

5. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Not a hint of barrel-scraping desperation in your post, IIR!

Good lawd!

Come on, IIR - you are better than this.

6. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Droll! I just wet myself at that one.

(But you ain't getting a 'like' - so there...)

7. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Care to provide a link to this 'almost' certain reason?, no, thought not.

8. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

For you? Anything.

Good night.

9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Must admit, I’d have thought a mains powered vacuum cleaner would be more efficient than a battery operated one ( which Dyson are now concentrating on) How can it be more efficient to charge a battery, then use that battery to power something, than it would be to power something directly off the mains ?

10. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

11. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

That's a very good point; it cannot possibly be more efficient since - as you say - you are introducing losses due to the charging and storage systems.

I think what's happened is, all the vacuum cleaner manufacturers were forced to improve the efficiency of their machines and have risen to that challenge and can now afford to add the wire-less feature.

That's a perfect example of EU regs having the desired win-win effect.

Of course, your Foxie new Britain will try and de-reg (as Trump is doing - "Global Warming is Fake News") to try and make as much quick money as possible, but they'll then find that no-one will want their second-rate products.

The EU won't touch anything the UK makes unless it conforms to their standards; Gawddamn! They'll still be taking our sovereignty!

12. joinerjohn1

Everything we manufacture for the European market already meets or exceeds their standards DA. ( as well you know) I wonder if Chinese goods meet the same standards? ( apparently not if trading standards officers are to be believed)

13. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

If is has CE on it, then yes. If it's fake, then report it.

And, yes, I know that we currently meet all EU regs for items we trade with - d'uh. Bludy loss of Sovereignty them telling US how to conform...

Won't it be GREAT to have our SOVEREIGNTY back after we leave?! No-one telling us what standards we need to conform to!

Unless, of course, we wish to trade with them as we obviously will with our biggest market, the EU. So we'll have to ensure we conform.

DAMN! Our 'Sovereignty' didn't last long... :(

My understanding is, if we actually properly 'leave' and break our Single Market and Customs Union ties with the EU (ie, a 'Hard' one), then we'd need to demonstrate that all our products - once again - meet the EU's agreed standards before we can sell to them.

Test houses in the UK will be busy. Actually, they won't be able to cope. So what I mean is, test houses across the EU will be busy - testing our products at our expense.

Are you sure you know what you want?

14. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

EU test houses will be too busy testing EU manufactured goods to ensure they meet British Standards.

15. joinerjohn1

Thing is DA, we manufacture stuff for differing markets and specifications are different. Our manufacturers don’t produce stuff for just one market. Cars for instance, if you look at the tail light clusters of British cars, you’ll find manufacturers info, moulded into the plastic/ glass. This is unacceptable to the Japanese market, so Rolls Royce’s and Bentleys etc , have these marks ground out and polished before export. Many EU standards were adopted from the old British Standards anyway.
    Returning to the NI question, what do you want to see? A United Ireland or the same NI / Eire ?

16. Broon

Broon Active Member

I don't know if it matters to DA. If it stays as separate from the rest of Ireland then the UK remains whole which would keep him happy or in the other case where it rejoins the rest of Ireland he can tell all you 'I told you so'.

Hard choice if you ask me;)

17. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Meet Glib and Glibber. (Fillet et JJ)

For your amusement, my wife works for such a test house - which has recently been taken over by a French company so that they can effectively 'pinch' UK business post-Brexit.

18. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Gee, that post is getting big, Heat :)

Let's look at some choice & pertinent bits.

"I am also asking how the peace is supposed to be under threat from Brexit, given the fact that the division has already been going on BEFORE the Brexit vote?" I am utterly gob-smacked that you - a person who lives in NI and who has presumably seen the effects of the 'Troubles' - can ask such a question. The 'Irish border' question has been one of the largest topics of discussion in the (quality) media over the past month or so. And yet you profess ignorance of the 'concern'? Jesus Christ.

"....And I still see no threat to the peace other than the usual dissident republicans" That's the only threat you see - the diss' Republicans. My gawd, you are so 'stuck'. All you had to do was to end that sentence with "...other than the usual dissidents." and I'd have some agreement with you to some point. But, no - in your mind it's only the Republicans! Sadly, in either case, these 'usual dissidents' - on both sides - are chomping at the bit for an excuse to get stuck in again. That's from both sides, you understand?

I made reference to the anti Brexit side in NI (and rest of Ireland) due to the politics of those groups. Other parties or individuals are less likely to as hostile to Brexit dealings obviously. Like - Du'h - those not opposed to Brexit are not opposed to it. The problem is, you think they are wrong, whereas I think you are wrong. So that point is not a point, simply a matter of opinion and discussion.

As to my sources, - from the mouths of the people and party members is as good as you can get I believe, but do please enlighten us how we can improve on that. By reading from both sides. By being impartial.

No deviousness in my part. I call it as it is. What I say on this forum will probably make little difference, if any at all just like your posts, Allsorts.
    The only aspect I refer to is your obvious and transparent lack of impartiality, and your refusal to entertain evidence from expert sources which contradict your opinion. I have given you what I understand is the VERY BEST, MOST COMPREHENSIVE and DETAILED ENQUIRY in to the likely effects of Brexit on Ireland, and you haven't even glanced at it. You dismiss it as 'obviously biased'. With some regret, Heat, I have to say I now expect no more from you.

“Trust will build Trust” according to you Allsorts.
    Yes it will! And that statement is for opponents. But who do we trust that is our opponent?
    What the?

Biased? Oh yes! Everybody really is. Unless we have just arrived from another planet, we all will have bias.
    Bias does not mean our thoughts or reason are going to be flawed.
    Yes, we are all biased. But it looks as tho' only one side is prepared to look at the best evidence.

Divisive? No! But I would be interested to know how I could be judged as such. Being unable to agree with some groups does not mean I am divisive.

Sectarian? Please define the meaning of the word.
    Actual meaning can be attributed to just about anyone, of any country.

Fair play to your honest answer Allsorts. You have never lived in or even visited NI.
    But you say that is completely irrelevant.
    Thank you.

Despite that it shows you form opinions solely on what others inform you on, by you reading or otherwise.
    I disagree. You know nothing beats being experienced in real life.
    That's only your experience - as a Protestant Loyalist. Who is clearly unprepared to examine the other person's viewpoint. (I mean Catholic/Republicans).

Yes, to your point if you talked to a Catholic/republican/anti Brexit/united Ireland NI person you will get some different thoughts, (hopefully with many agreements though), but you could ask a thousand people and get a thousand different takes on things. Take your pick.What a cop-out. If you want to discuss issues with validity, then you need to be better than 'them'.

I haven’t been a research assistant.
    How does that make you better than anyone else? Or perhaps I should say, Wiser than anybody else?
    Not in itself. But I'm trying to suggest that I have been privy to 'near' first-hand experience. By an MP who was impartial and extensively immersed in such issues, and was not in the least bit partisan on the Irish issue.

(Just on that subject, -Is that what the Owl is supposed to represent?)

The MP could have been very good at his or her job, many were not though.
    As to the troops,
    I have known some of the troops personally and other well placed people, but that can come with being part of the community.

I read plenty on internet. I do read the views of all sides. I do know how both sides of the extremes think and the reasons for that.
    Again, it comes naturally when it is part of my life.

You didn’t answer anything to my question of what would YOU compromise on IF you lived in NI ?
    Compromise? It's not compromise. It's democracy. What do the polls over there suggest to you?

What I would - personally - LOVE to see in NI and across the rest of the UK is a complete removal of selective education. No more 'Catholic', CofE, Islamic, Jewish schools. BANNED. If you are a young human being, then go to a school that caters for young human beings.

Get that complete carp out off their minds. See the 'others' as they truly are - other human beings. Good and bad. Just because each individual is 'good' or 'bad'. Mix with them from a young age.

Jobbie jobbed.

19. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Och, ye cynical wee Skotsman ye. :)

20. joinerjohn1

So, let's get this right,, Some MP (who shall remain anonymous) told you something ,,, and you believed him/her ?
    :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p
    Yet two years ago, you were blaming the referendum results on people listening to,,,,, (wait for it),,,,,,,,, MP's :eek::eek::eek:

Heat likes this.