talk box sash windows

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mr Rusty, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

2. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Righto. They will be fine just a bit tight for any maintenance in years to come.

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I'm interested why you think the pullleys are high. Since you said I have had a look on t'internet and you're right - many of the illustrations show the pulleys a bit lower. I can't see why it makes much difference - why do you think it will make maintenance more difficult? I might change it on the next ones if there is a good reason.

BTW, I have modified the traditional design - my weights "pockets" are actually the lower section of the inner lining - didn't want to have them on the running face of the pulley stile. Won't be quite as accessible, but how often do you have to re-cord.......

4. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Its for maintenance in years to come. simply getting a hand tool in there to effect any works. The rounded rebates are nice but I use square cut pulleys for simpler replacements. If the pulleys are all metal it will be fine for a long time.

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You don't appear to have a parting slip or wagtail either.

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Not yet. It will be there

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The next chippie that has to work on your windows will be cursing you.

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I quote for a cord change, bog standard job, and all of a sudden the staff beads are rebated in and I can't get a replacement and where the hell are the pockets.
    You are fixing problems that don't exist again.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Looked up Accoya, there is an article that recommends PVA 4

http://www.constructionchemicals.co.uk/files/downloads/WPPVAD4.pdf

http://www.constructionchemicals.co.uk/Water-Resistant-PVA-Joinery-Adhesive-D3.html

may be worth having a look

12. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Yeah 2 part filler and pin it but its extra graft on top of a routine service

13. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Pockets are the bottom 500mm of the inner lining. Just didn't want the pockets on the face of the pulley lining to potentially interfere with sliding seals. I noticed several of the window suppliers at the renovation show at Harrogate I went to recently didn't have weight pockets on the pulley stile either. I expect for the same reason. I realise the design I am using isn't totally traditional, but as a certain London company has been kind enough to post their CAD drawings I thought I would basically copy them.....

The staff beaf clips into a plastic insert that goes in the rebate. Easy to lever out for maintenance without damage.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I don't understand how you access your sash weights or what happens when the company supplying your staff bead goes bust and a chippie, not realising what he is dealing with and why would he, breaks one.

15. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Sospan. That's interesting that they recommend their pva4. I have titebond III here which is also a high performance PVA but the only info I could find said it wasn't so good on accoya. Maybe I will have to do some unscientific tests because I would rather use PVA.

16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Chippie. The wagtail only needs to come down below the top of the weights to keep them separated. With the bottom section of the inner lining removed easy to get weights in and out. We are intending to hang on to this house hence not using the cheapest materials. If some chippie breaks the staff beads when I'm pushing up daisies I won't really be that bothered.:):)

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What I mean is you must now have a visible join on the inside of your window which will have to be broken any time you have to work on your sashes. Do you have to take your arcs off as well?

18. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Yeah the pocket needs to be accessible, otherwise you have to do a lot more making good. new pulleys can sometimes have a sharp edge and will cut through cord.

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have tried PU a few times, whilst it works where the timber stays dry, I have seen it break down over a few years outside. Whether it is because I am near the sea, but prefer other adhesives for outside

20. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Y arcs off. One screw and the bottom section of the lining will come away. I decided I would rather have the joint to be broken there than on a face with a sliding seal. Nice smooth pulleys. Best quality 7mm cord. I expect it will outlast me. I'm certainly hoping that once installed they won't be coming apart in a hurry.