Talked myself out of this job!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by seneca2, Sep 27, 2010.

1. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Asked to quote to fit a Halogen hob, they already had a 5.9 Kw double oven on 6.00mm cable/32a 60898, on a run of about 15 metres. The hob they wanted was 7.4 Kw, although with diversity the total load would have been about 30a I didn't feel happy about adding to the existing cable, running a new cable wasn't an option due to concrete floors and them not wanting their decor damaged!
    I recommended they keep their gas hob which they seemed quite happy to do when I explained the problems to them.
    I'm lucky to be in a position whereby I don't have to grab every job that's offered although I suppose someone else will do it for them.

2. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

So you had far less than the 15kW that the Regs allow for a standard 30/32A domestic cooker. And you bottled out?

Silly boy!

Lucia x

3. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Yes I did Lucia, they started by asking if it would be too much load and when I explained it would be ok because it's not likely that everything would be switched on at once they didn't seem to agree with that! She reckoned that she often has the whole lot on together so rather than having them phoning me up every 5 mins moaning that the breaker's tripped I walked!

4. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Such a pity, Sen. You would've been OK to add such a trivial load to the existing circuit.

This diversity 'rule' for domestic cooking appliances has been with us for over fifty years without the need for amendment. I really can't see why you should doubt it now.

Lucia x

5. Badger001

Badger001 New Member

i got 57.6 Amps max load when all was on, which is over a 32 amp mcb allowance, 5900/230=25a
    7400/230=32a
    32X1.5=48 max short term loading of breaker
    25+32= 57 amp imho mcb wouldnt hold ;)

6. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

That's whe way I saw it too badger, although I could have upped the breaker to 40amp and allowing for diversity that 57.6 comes down to just below 30a I still didn't feel happy with it, the cable would have been near it's limit (also I couldnt see the entire cable run, there could have been insulation present) and the current could be drawn for quite a long time,so for that reason I decided "i'm out"!