Tamper proof tyre caps?

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by billfromarran, Jun 21, 2022.

1. billfromarran

billfromarran Active Member

Thinking of getting a set for Mrs's car (honda CRV) .
    Without going into the rights and wrongs, is there any type recommended?

2. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

3. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Are you worried about the extinction rebellion lot letting your tyre down ? Apart from needing to keep the tool safe and handy, I am not sure about the nickel threaded section. Although it claims non corroding, I avoid metal caps as they can and will corrode making removal very difficult.

Tricky Dicky and vrDrew63 like this.
  4. vrDrew63

vrDrew63 Active Member

I'm reminded of those adverts for washing detergents that claim to be excellent at getting blood out of clothes. In my mind, if you regularly find yourself dealing with blood-soaked clothing - then you've got bigger problems than laundry in your life.

I've had some valve stem caps pinched. I had some really nice looking chrome skulls on my Harley's wheels back in the day, which someone helped themselves to. When I mentioned this to an old biker friend, he consoled me by telling me that stealing anything with a skull on it guarantees a run of terrible bad luck (if not certain death) on the thief. I have no way of telling if this is true or not, but it made me feel a bit better.

Letting the air out of someone's tyres is a bit more serious than a childish "prank." It could cause a fatal crash. But then again, the Law puts the burden on the driver to make sure their tyres are properly inflated. Many cars these days have pressure sensors that will alert you; and most times you can tell from the sound and feel - if not from the appearance of the tyre itself - that you are running a few PSI low.

I wouldn't bother with tamper-proof caps. The little tool is something that inevitably will get lost when you need it yourself. It probably can be defeated by a determined vandal. And they always have the option of jamming a screwdriver or knife blade through the side of the tyre out of frustration or sheer bloodymindedness.

Save yourself the £14. Buy your wife a decent pressure gauge instead.

5. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

You can buy a bulk bag of 100 plastic ones for about £4.

6. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

If someone is minded to let your tyres down then I would rather they messed about with my valves rather than cut the valve stem or stuck something through the side wall. Tyre's still flat but it's only air you need then.

7. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Or buy her a foot pump.

8. billfromarran

billfromarran Active Member

We have a foot pump in the car. Also have a bit of 3x2" hardwood, about 1200 mm long.