Tanking on skimmed plaster?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Galaxy99, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Galaxy99

Galaxy99 New Member

Hi everyone

I’m in the process of installing a new bathroom, with a shower cubicle in one corner. All the walls have been skimmed onto fireline plasterboard.

Is it still possible to tank the shower area on top of the new skimmed plaster? Or should I have done it before.

The full bathroom will be tiled.

All help will be appreciated.

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

If the plaster is sound and likely not to shrink or flake off then no problem ... tank away. I would certainly use tanking matting in all corners and edges. Use the recommended tanking primer, then at least 2 coats of tanking applied with brushstrokes at right angles to each other. Tile when dry.

3. Galaxy99

Galaxy99 New Member

Thanks Rogerk101

It’s newly been skimmed, when you say flake or shrink. Is this something that is common?

4. LEH

LEH Member

Hi, are you aware of the weight limit for tiles on plaster skim?

5. Galaxy99

Galaxy99 New Member

Hi LEH

No idea, never got into that kind of detail. My other bathroom is fully tiled too, never had issues.

Are you suggesting it’s best to tile straight onto plasterboard?

6. LEH

LEH Member

7. Galaxy99

Galaxy99 New Member

Thanks LEH

That link is great bit of info, and yes I was planning to use porcelain tiles. Reading that link I may now have to consider using pvc t&g aqua boards instead. (I’ve noticed there’s plenty of designs and colours to choose from) it will also take away any risk of water penetrating through the grout on tiles.

Thanks

8. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

That's why grout sealer was invented. Apply at least two coats, and the grout is effectively waterproof.