Tannin bleed thru BullsEye - change primer?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by haigie, Jun 9, 2021.

1. haigie

haigie New Member

Painting my bedroom window sill this week, which was previously varnished. Likely to have been an oil based varnish - the last time this would’ve been would be over a decade ago and numerous parts were bare wood.
    Sanded with 40 up to 120 and do first coat of BullsEye 123 before doing remaining prep like filling in a crack and old screw holes from previous blinds.

I’ve got a lot of bleed which looks like the wood tannin? Pictured is the worst part and it seems to be somewhat random around the window for the other bleed sections.
    I’ve painted a ‘30’s varnished door before and it was totally fine using the BE as well as plenty of other problem areas but never seen this. 2 coats gave me a fairly white base for the other jobs.

I used CoverStain on the other 2 windows I’ve done, which I know from an opacity point of view is preferred (or BIN) and didn’t have this issue.

My tin of BE is just over a year old - I’ve had to do 3 coats on a small water stained section on my ceiling as well - has it possibly gone off?

I’ve got a click & collect for another tin I’m picking up this evening, should I switch to CS or BIN? Or will my second coat stop the tannin bleed?

Cheers for any advice!

Attached Files:

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

BIN is best for tannin / knotty wood

haigie and Astramax like this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

123 is not suitable fot tannin bleed, use either BIN or Cover Stain. Also reading the products data sheet recomedations is useful in choosing the appropriate sealer.

haigie likes this.
  4. haigie

haigie New Member

Thanks both. Didn’t expect that to happen - seems to be all the sections where the old varnish was pretty much gone. Tin of BIN paid for.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Don’t forget the meths!

haigie and Astramax like this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Cheaper to throw the brush away!

haigie likes this.
  7. haigie

haigie New Member

not my new Wooster! Barely been used!

I did pick up a Kana (£1.62) mixed bristle… looking forward to trying it.

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I use loads of the stuff on jobs, but bought a bottle recently that was really poor. Loads of ‘dye’ in it that seemed to stain everything.