Tap Still Leaking after Replacing Cartrige

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by wolf13, Jun 7, 2022.

1. wolf13

wolf13 New Member

Hello!

My kitchen tap has two handles: the hot water one works wonderfully, the cold lets some water out once turned off.

I replaced the cartridge (it looked old yet not damaged) but didn't make much of a difference.

So far I tried:
    • Inspecting the seating (looking for debris or cracks); it looked neat;
    • Screwing in the cartridge a bit loose first and then tight; same result;
    • Using a ticker rubber washer than the one provided (just in case!); no luck.

I am a bit short of ideas now; what do you suggest I should try looking into?

Thank you!

Edit: Apologies, just realized I posted in the wrong section. Can this post be moved, please?

Attached Files:

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Firstly, as you’ve pointed out, these taps use a 1/4 turn ceramic cartridge, which you’ve replaced

So when you say you’ve ‘used a thicker rubber washer than the one provided’ - what and where have you replaced this washer ?

These ceramic cartridges are generally swapped over as a complete unit - online, Tap Magician for example, do sell spare parts for these cartridges but again, would imagine in most cases the complete cartridge is simply swapped over

Secondly, the ‘swan neck’ taps can continue to dribble for a few seconds after turning off water (as shown in your video)

Water enters base of tap, turn tap on, turn tap off, but the complete ‘swan neck’ is still full of water. It’s like a syphon effect that continues to allow water to flow until used up

Unless the tap continues to pass water ?
    If so, likely that you have the wrong size cartridge fitted (ie, too short so doesn’t fully meet seat)

wolf13 likes this.
  3. wolf13

wolf13 New Member

Thank you! This is really insightful.

I get what you mean with the 'swan neck' shape and the Syphon effect, what escapes me is why the water reflux happens only when operating the cold water and not the hot one.

You might be right about the wrong cartridge size, being too short to meet the seat. :( I measured the old (problematic) cartridge to order the new one, maybe the first one was wrong to start with.

This evening I'll try to measure the seating with the caliper (or, if I manage to loosen up, take out the hot water cartridge and measure that one instead).

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Always makes sense to change both hot and cold cartridges at same time - if ones on its way out, the other will follow shortly more than likely !

Theres 1,000s of cartridges that all differ by a millimetre here and there - replacement needs to be exact

Take a look online at The Tap Magician
    Even if you don’t buy replacements from them, shows a clear schematic on all the measurements you need to check - and there’s plenty to match up

Still don’t get what washer you replaced on tap cartridge ?
    Also, the dribble, does it just continue for a few seconds or continuous ?

5. wolf13

wolf13 New Member

Apologies, I've been vague. The washer I tried swapping is the very end bit coloured blue. It was an attempt to check (I mean, this is a good, new cartridge! But just to be sure) whether it would work with a thicker washer.

The reflux is continuous at first (it would fill an espresso cup by a half) and then drips for a couple of minutes.

6. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

You could try swapping your hot and cold cartridges over to see if it cures the problem, then you know a new (correct) cartridge will solve it.