Tap water too hot ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Paddywhack, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Paddywhack

Paddywhack New Member

Hi
    The water from the hot taps in my house is far too hot. The water is heated by an oil fired central heating system using a coil in the domestic hot water tank to heat the hot water. The thermostat is at the same setting on the boiler it always has been at (65 degrees) but the very hot tap water is only a recent problem. The central system is an open system. That is it has a water tank in the attic with a ball valve to feed water if needed. The radiators are hot when the system is on for a while but not too hot. There is a valve on the lower pipe feeding the coil from the central heating system which I have tried adjusting by almost closing it and also opening it up fully but doesn’t seem to make any difference. any ideas as to how I might fix this problem ?

Thank you

2. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

The valve on a pipe to the coil might be just a gate valve for balancing the circuit to coil and will not alter the heat. It really shouldn’t be turned if that is what it is.
    If it is a cylinder stat it will have a numbered head to adjust the heat and could go faulty.
    Most likely you have no control on your cylinder heat except the boiler thermostat and that stat if faulty and allowing higher heat than stat is set at. Very common for oil boiler stats to eventually allow slight overheat.
    Note that the minimum your hot water has to be is 65 degrees to kill bacteria.
    Check if you have any cylinder controls first.

3. Paddywhack

Paddywhack New Member

Thank you Heat for your prompt reply. You are correct, I don’t have a cylinder stat.
    It may be as you suggest the thermostat on the boiler is faulty. I will certainly check this out. Thank you very much for this advice.