Taps rotate in the wrong direction

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DonnaItalia, Mar 16, 2017.

1. DonnaItalia

DonnaItalia Member

Hoping someone will have a simple answer for this.

I recently bought some Bensham taps (1/4 turn ceramic) from Bathstore - one bath mixer with hand shower attachment and one pair of long-nose basin taps. When fitted the cold tap on the bath mixer rotates to the right (clockwise) to turn the water on (the hot tap is correct) and the hot tap on the washbasin does the same (the cold is correct). All the taps should rotate the same way. Two plumbers have given up and Bathstore say that they are going to send me two hot tap cartridges as they say the ceramics discs have been transposed. They have already replaced the cross head tops but this made no difference. I think they've misunderstood the problem. It's not that the hot and cold have been transposed but that two of the four taps rotate in the wrong direction (one hot and one cold). Can anyone here make any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Surely its the cartridge that defines which way the tap rotates, so swapping these for the correct ones should resolve it?

3. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Are they just 1/4 turn? If so I suspect what you've got is the innards from a tap where they are on the side of a singe unit, like a kitchen monoblock.

I've got that on my bathroom sink... just got used to it and have never bothered putting it right!

Regards,

Cando

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I'm sure that this is deliberate as it's pretty much the norm nowadays with quarter turn taps but it's usually the cold which is the correct way - anti-clockwise. Apart from the obvious benefits for lever taps (both operate symmetrically) there may be a safety reason that turning the hot tap is counter intuitive - your instinct is to close it. The solution normally is to put cold cartridges in each tap.

5. Chris Dell

Chris Dell New Member

On ceramic taps with 2 quadrant openings diagonally opposite on each 'washer' you cannot change this, but the ones where the 'hole' in the washer is like a half moon then you can. On these, placing the blocked part of the second washer over the hole in the first ensures the tap is off or vice versa in relation to the position of the lever or handle. Altering the position of quadrant washers won't change anything, the brass tap barrel does not allow a quarter repositioning of the valve assembly.

6. SJPeppers

SJPeppers New Member

On the 1/4 turn ones I got from BnQ I could change the direction. I popped off the circlip, pushed out the spindle and removed both ceramic disc's. There was a white plastic piece which fitted to the bottom of the spindle and turned the top ceramic disc. This could be removed and turned 90 degrees to change the turn direction.

Attached Files: