Tarmac sealer.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Iain MacGregor, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Iain MacGregor

Iain MacGregor New Member

I have just had an underground burst pipe repaired and some new tarmac laid along a one meter width, and 6 meter length where the contractor dug out the old pipe. There was also an area where escaping water from the burst pipe had damaged the old tarmac, due to freezing and thawing several times over. this was approx. 8 sq. meters. The contractor laid the new tarmac up to existing old tarmac. My question is am I wrong to expect them to put a sealant between the old and new tarmac, as standard? This wasn't discussed before hand and wasn't mentioned in the quote, I simply expected this to be standard practise. Am I wrong to expect this?

2. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

no sealant needed, they will laminate each other in summer time

3. Iain MacGregor

Sadly I don't think that will happen as the old tarmac is dried out and crumbly and now broken up even more due the the contractors roller. It will now suffer even more as rain will penetrate the joint. Thanks for your reply.

4. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

in this case you are right, cracks will remain eventually expand, if this work was under insurance policy you might request re-lay entire surface, if you have employed company for that on your own is no way that you can win, they have done just contracted work- sorry

Squashrobinson likes this.
  5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

You would normally use a bitumen bonding/sealing material on the joint.

Astramax likes this.
  6. Iain MacGregor

Yes, that is exactly what I thought but the contractor says that
    because the old tarmac is "porous" it would be a waste of money. The old tarmac is certainly far more porous now as it's been broken up by the contractors heavy machinery.

7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

That is contractor speak for CBA.