Tatty front door step :-(

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Dec 19, 2017.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Hello again,

My son's house has a tatty step. It was painted a while ago and that looks worse now. See photo.

What suggestions coudl be made to improve the appearance? The poorly filled crack accross it has not moved or changed as far as I am aware in a number of years.

My best guess is to tile, possibly quarry. But I lack imagination on this front. So would apreciate other suggestions.

Thanks, Steve

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Quarry tiles can be lethal in the wet, even more so if polished.

GoodwithWood likes this.
  3. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Oh, I thought quarry tiles were used on steps and the like because they were unglazed and less likely to be slippery.

Would still like advice on posible solutions :)

I am thinking that re-skiming with cement and painting would risk allowing the crack to show after a while.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Doorstep paint will always wear through and require painting every year (?) or so

There are more hard wearing floor paints to look at, used on factory floors for instant, hardest wearing will be 2 pack paints, look at a company called Coo-Var, excellent products

If it was me .........
    And you have some time off over Xmas.........?

Knock out existing step and rebuilt using slabs to match in with what’s there already (think I can just see a peek of slab in photo) ?

Obviously slabs that are laid have weathered over the years so nothing will match, unless you go reclaimed route

Or go for a contrast - may just work, loads of slabs to choose from

Whatever paint you use, the damage will always show through, don’t matter how many coats you slap on

That’s my thoughts anyway, nice to see you back on the forum :)

GoodwithWood likes this.
  5. As you suspect, a skim of mortar over that would almost certainly crack and lift.

There's clearly a teeny bit of movement between the two sides of that crack, so even digging it out and refilling it with a quality filler like Toupret might not last long before new hairline cracks form between it and the step - but it would still be my first solution.

This stuff: https://www.screwfix.com/p/toupret-touprelith-f-exterior-masonry-repair-filler-1-5kg/7626h

You would need to chisel/dig out all of that existing filler, and try and get down as far as it goes. Clean up the exposed step surfaces thoroughly so's the new stuff really bonds to it.

Scrape the paint off the top either side of the crack too, so that you can get a really good 'blending' in of the filled crack.

Basically, fill, scrape off level and then use summat like a damp sponge to dab down gently on the top surface until the new stuff has bonded without any lines to each side, and the top surface looks similar too. It should be possible to get it nigh-on perfect.

If it doesn't look spot-on as it sets, you can afford to be more firm with the sponge as it gets harder - but don't actually move/reshape the filler or it'll weaken. All you can do is wipe/pad down more firmly to change the top surface texture by removing a fractional amount.

Once set, brush away an excess, and use a good quality 'step' paint. Follow any instructions as how to paint on bare concrete.

6. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

===
    Any paint will only colour the surface. I would like to lose that visible crack as I think that presents poorly. Especially as its the first thing seen on approaching the property. Hence the thought of covering it up.

So, are you suggsting taking out the outer painted steps that lead to the path (unpainted) and replace these? There will still be a join to the original step that joins the base of the door and the side verticles )painted white in the photo). Or are you suggesting taking everything out and starting again - I would be wary that may be a bigger job than I would like to do in th Christmas break. Also I would be wary that I may (definately would!) damage the verticles and have a bigger 'making good' job to do.

Thanks you for welcoming me back - not done any DIY for a while. had and have a nice job advising others from a keyboard and in the warm :) LOL

7. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

==
    Thank you DA. Your posting crossed with my reply to Dave.

You both don't seem to be keen on the 'cover it up' approach.

I will be discussing with my son and his new wife (got back from their Honeymoon yesterday). Dad (me) was doing some jobs at theirs while they were away.

8. Congrats!

I would personally attempt the repair first as the rest of the step - on either side - looks pretty secure and solid.

Once you get the filled line as neat as possible, when it comes to applying the step paint brush it on and then hold the brush at a low angle so's the bristles make largely 'side' contact, and tap it up and down in the paint as you move it along - that will give the paint a slight texture which will largely disappear as it dries, but should still help to disguise any remaining surface differences. This slight dimple will also help to increase traction... :rolleyes:

I reckon you can do a simple job there that will improve its appearance hugely, if not even perfectly :)

9. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Great way forward: pull out the old bodged cement filling (Hand chisel and maybe SDS drill with possible use of angle grinder to be used). Fill wilh Toupret, wait and paint with Coo-Var floor paint. Job done.

The new Mrs M-J had better decide the colour o_O

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very good paint.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

...even mix in some sharp sand (or grit sand)with your paint.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Grano dust might be better, finer, usually 6mm to dust,but still gritty.

13. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Sand in with the paitn sounds a good idea. I have some kiln dry sand left over from repair to block paving; that is fine.

I emailed Coo var for their advice as to the best type of paint and the preperation. The new daughter-in-law is away in February and my son want to do it then.

Thank you for all your help :)

(Much appreciated as we had a gas leak today and now lost our heating grr)

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sand might be too fine, do a sample area first.

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Don’t blame you Steve for looking at a repair instead of a rip out - it’s ok me suggesting it but like you, I can do that from behind my desk, in the warm with a coffee to hand !

Repair well worth a try, won’t cost a great deal and although has to be done in several stages, won’t take that long in total

As with any filler repair, any movement will eventually cause the repair to fail so ensure no movement between the sections

Other than that, good advice given and the Toupret is excellent. Don’t understand how it sets like stone but is still relatively easy to sand down - good luck with repair

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Far too cold in February for painting steps,paint might not cure properly, wait for warmer weather.

17. Didn't realise that Toupret was sandable - that's better still!

When you get it to the finish you want - whilst it's still wet - cover it with some poly (raised off so's it don't touch) so that it sets fully before it dries out. If it dries too quickly - quite common if it's only a small amount - then it's compromise its strength, and the surface could be powdery.

Personally I wouldn't try adding sand or anything else to the paint - it will very likely end up looking hellish.

The floor paint will already be pretty anti-slip (even with grit), and if you want to disguise any slight imperfections, then evenly 'stipple' it on application. Most of that 'stipple' will disappear as it dries, but it will (should) leave it 'even' as opposed to brush-lined or summat.

18. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

The Coo-Var recomendation is:

Recommendation:-

Rout out the crack damage to a depth of 20mm min.

Repair the majority of the crack with COO-VAR Floorpak, leave a minimum of 5 mm recess from the top.

Apply a 5mm strip of 2 pack Polyester filler to complete the filling.

Grind or sand all the pained surfaces to expose the concrete substrate.

Apply 3 coats of COO-VAR Floor paint. In the desired colour.

Thin the first coat 10% with White spirit subsequent coats un-thinned.

The Floorpak and plyester filler is much more expensive than the Toupret, but if it gives a longer lasting repair then it wil lbe worth it.

Thoughts? Is it worth the extra, or is it overegging?

Of course Merry Christmas to you all :) Steve

19. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Personally i would stick Indan sandstone down on the threads and just paint the upstands to suit.
    15mm sandstone and a waterproof mastic adhesive.

20. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

That is the jist of where I started, with regard to tiling.