Teak Furniture + Teak Oil?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Mattcee, May 1, 2018.

1. Mattcee

Mattcee Member

Is there anything better than just normal teak oil to use on outdoor teak garden chairs and tables that will last longer?
    Every year I have to sand everything down and re-apply the oil but it only ever looks good for a month or so.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sadolin 'Classic' wood stain, range of colours available.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

There is a body of opinion that teak garden furniture doesn't need any aftercare other than a wipe down, and the silvery grey colour you get with new teak furniture after a winter outside is a desirable patina. I have a couple of teak Lutyens benches and don't do anything with them. As I remember they went that silvery grey colour pretty quick, I prefer it.

As with any aesthetic it is of course subjective.

5. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

As Muzungo says, a lot of boat owners with teck decks and rubbing strakes would be horrified at the thought of oil or varnish, maybe just an application of teak cleaner every few years and a scrub with soapy water, and keep the grey colour.

6. Mattcee

Mattcee Member

Cheers chaps, will try out the Sadolin.

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Garden furniture oil - it is based on teak oil but often with UV protectors added. You need something which is absorbed and not just a surface coat.

8. Danny Greenwood

Danny Greenwood New Member

Is there any reason why you should not use the Teak Wonder products? I know that most of the sailors will use them on their boats but I see no harm in using them on garden furniture no?
    My quick search on google revealed:
    https://www.foxschandlery.com/teak-wonder