Tecma Sanisplit, unblocking was so easy ;)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Cornish Crofter, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Here's the situation.

A couple of years ago I bought 2 Sanisplit 3s from a local discount store. They'd got a load in and they were very cheap. They cost just over £200 each, so I was tempted. I bought them over Saniflow for the price alone.

These looked tempting as they had 3 inlets (including the pan inlet).

I have one serving the downstairs toilet, wash hand basin, utility room sink and washing machine.

The other serves the kitchen sink and the dishwasher. The pan inlet is blanked off with the optional blanking plug supplied.

Although I had heard of Saniflow (these are not made by Saniflow) I had a quick look at these and decided that one would do our basement kitchen, and the other would do the basement utility and cloackroom. Both are below ground level, and hence are around 7 ft below the main drain.

Unlike the Saniflow they need to be plumbed on the pumped side with either 32 or 40mm, not 22mm. That is the ONLY disadvantage.

When I looked at them I found that they actually came apart. The pump mechanism, which is wired in actually comes apart from the manifold that is permanently plumbed into the toilet and the pumped side. Hence, when the pump gets blocked as it did the other day when one of my children put something down it they shouldn't have done, I only had to undo a hand screw holding the unit in place to remove the pump. The toilet stayed where it was and so did all the other connections (hand basin and utility room drain).

The only spillage was from what was in the pan, which was fortunately clean and had some bleach. An integral non return valve stopped the head of pumped water from collapsing onto me, so I was pleased about that.

Once the offending object was removed the whole lot went back together without a fuss, and we were back in business.

The only improvement IMO that they could consider would be to have a manual valve controlling the inlet from the manifold to the pump. This would at least give one the option of preventing a small flood if I knew the blockage was in the pump itself if I could close this before I remove the pump.