tee off for drop just below return pipe into radiator

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by gr0mit, Jan 22, 2019.

1. gr0mit

gr0mit New Member

I am about to put a very small radiator (400 X 500) in a porch .
    To do so it would be convenient to drop down below rad in upstairs bedroom.
    On the return side, the new pipe would tee in where there is currently a bend, that goes up into return rad valve.
    This new tee would be 150 mm below upstairs radiator valve .
    Obviously return would be coming up from downstairs and meeting the return coming out of the radiator 150 mm above the tee. Is this likely to cause a problem with 2 return forces 1 going down and 1 going up.meeting in the same pipe and then off down the tee. ??

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Notwithstanding the details of what you are asking, which I am not qualified to answer...
    Why put a radiator in a porch! Surely this is a waste of heating, unless the porch roof is well insulated, and it's double glazed, most of the heat will be wasted!

With deepest apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree here!

Regards,

Cando

3. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

As long as your upstairs radiator has a decent connection to the main flow and return (ie not already extending from another radiator) then I would expect that to work. You'd probably have to rebalance your other radiators to push the heat effectively out to this new one.

Don't forget to include a drain off as this new rad will be on a drop.

4. gr0mit

gr0mit New Member

okay candoabitofmost . bad description on my part its a separate Loo in the porch . Very cold without a rad.
    Thank you DCOX . Glad to hear you think ok . I have a good working system at present but f & R 15 m/m pipes run off a 22mm pipe at back of house.
    so 15mm pipe runs from back to front of property going under 1 bedrooms and to far wall in second bedroom .
    I will run pipe in copper as opposed to push fit plastic.
    I was going to put drain off and TRV on new rad. Big Thanks.

5. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Ahhhh...
    Big rad then!!
    Regards,
    Cando