Telebeam Installation

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Jitender, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Some final pictures of work.

Fitted two radiators in loft, a lot of pipe run had already been carried out and pressure tested.

I choose a stylish horizontal radiator.

upload_2018-12-7_15-42-12.png

Most of pipe run is in copper, it is run in 22mm to the unequal 'T'. The 15mm white speedfit pipe supplies the other radiator on opposite side of room, choose plastic here as it was in one length with no joints under the floor.
    upload_2018-12-7_15-42-28.png

This is the other radiator, joints made using compression fittings, then carried n copper.
    upload_2018-12-7_15-47-58.png

Using pressure test pump to check for any leaks.The valves were shut of on bath radiators so only water in the pipes would be tested.
    upload_2018-12-7_15-42-44.png

System pressure at 5 bar. Left for 10-15 minutes and no drop with in that time. checked over joints and all seem fine.
    upload_2018-12-7_15-42-53.png

Pipe work insulated using insulation.
    upload_2018-12-7_15-43-13.png

Used elbow valves to make things look neater.
    upload_2018-12-7_15-43-29.png

2. Dan dan the man

Dan dan the man Active Member

I realize this is an old thread, but I’m at the insulation stage on a similar project and wondered how the foilbased insulation you used has performed since you finished the room. Traditional methods ie,150mm celotex will mean losing more head room on the slopes than I’d like.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What's the size of your rafters?

I used 50mm celotex between retaining a 50mm air gap.

The rafters were then over battened before applying the superfoil quilt, then another battening layer over the top.

This is what BC were happy with as the headheight wasn't too great.

Doesn't feel cold up there and much warmer than any other room in the house.

4. Dan dan the man

Thanks for the reply, I’ve got 95mm rafters. BC advised 50mm celotex between rafters then sf19 then 25mm batten then the 6mm ply bracing then plasterboard. Using this method will save around 50mm head room on the sloping ceilings....BUT I’ve seen many reviews slating the superfoil products so am unsure which route to take, seems you’ve had good results with it though.

5. Dan dan the man

Its confusing trying to get the measurements for the foil based stuff, sf19 states its 45mm thick but will probably squeeze down under the battens so god knows what the actual real life thickness is ha

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yes it compresses under the battens.

If you counter batten it after the first layer, you can set the battens according to the size of your plasterboard.

7. Dan dan the man

So you put 2 sets of counter batten in? One under the super foil and then another ontop of it? So 50mm air gap in total?

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yes you need a gap on each side.

9. Dan dan the man

Thought so!
    May as well go for pir insulation in that case. 25mm air gap+20mm compressed foil+25 mm air gap is only 30mm less than full cetotex pir route...hardly seems worth it as im sure 150mm total celotex insulation will far out perform 50mm celotex and foil insulation. Nowt in it cost wise really either.
    Thanks for your input, i was hoping the foil stuff was some kind of wonder product but i guess not, ha.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What does BC say?

In my case they were happy with my setup, as any further insulation would have reduced the head height.

Would like to see pictures of the finished project :)

11. Dan dan the man

BC is very flexible with method used as long as it complies

12. Bradcarths

Bradcarths New Member

Hi matey.. I have read this whole forum about your loft conversion. I’ve just ordered my telebeam after final survey. I’m a plumber and I’m doing the work myself. You have gave me loads of advice and I just wanted to say well done you’ve done an amazing job and thank you.

13. Dan dan the man

You’ll have a great time with telebeam, really good system! Finished my conversion during lockdown. Getting the things up there is the hardest part!!

14. Frank Coles

Frank Coles New Member

Hi all,

Great thread Jitender. One of the most informative I've ever read. I'm looking at a telebeam set up for a new place I'm getting and I'd be interested to know how much it all came to in the end? And if there is anything you would have done differently, for whatever reason, with a bit of distance between you and the project?

Cheers!

15. Chris Rothery

Chris Rothery New Member

Hi Jit, I've just discovered this thread in a search for more information about Telebeam. It is an epic thread so thank you for all of the information. There's no way I'm attempting this myself but it's filled me with information about the process and I'll be keeping an eye on my builder for sure! Stunning job, can see it was a labour of love but the results are amazing. Don't know if you'll see this after all this time but if you have any final pics that would be amazing.

16. Mickbodie

Mickbodie New Member

Hi all, just been searching for the cost of this tele beam system. Looks straight forward to install and picked up a few tips on the installation techniques. I noticed you need 2 beams per truss and 3 to form a stair opening. Are the hangers part of the system or are they a separate entity?

17. Dan dan the man

All the beam hangers and fixings are included in the kit.

18. Mickbodie

Mickbodie New Member

Do you know a rough cost, I’m in trade and was going down the trad route/joists/steel then this popped up and I sent email to the company for a quote but no one’s got back to me for a week or so?