Telebeam Installation

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Jitender, Dec 8, 2016.

1. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

so you can only pack on wall plates, hard work on your own i should think, but i reckon it will be easier to laser mark 1st and then pack beams rather than using a bubble level
    as kool says, it's an interesting project, keep updating on progress

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Th extenders only rest on the wall plate, cant be packed underneath the beams as clearance is require.

There will obviously some deflection, otherwise it could have pushed out the noggins.

Once the beams get secured at the truss points then beam is fairly solid with little flex.

going to start afresh tomorrow, dont too much thinking today.

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

But they can be packed where they meet the wall plates?

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yes can be packed at wall plate. But needs suitable material.

Have been told yo use C16 timber for wall plates.

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I'd probably be thinking of making shims from C16 timber to sit under each telebeam, problem though is if the shims are thin, they may break up.

How are you compensating for the 21mm difference between the wall plates?

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

How are you getting on?

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Got 3 beams in today. Started raining so had to get roof covered. Trying to aim to get 5 beams in tomorrow.

Not going to worry about the 21mm difference. with the 1.2m level the bubble still within the line so is fine. I suppose the 21mm will be less in terms of room span being 4.4m

upload_2016-12-13_17-10-50.png

Using a 2m level to make sure that the beams are in line, most are within 3mm.
    upload_2016-12-13_17-10-4.png

Found it much easier to get the beams in them level through.

upload_2016-12-13_17-11-0.png

Joe95 likes this.
  8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I would imagine, once flooring is screwed into the beams (assuming they are screwed in?) everything will be level enough and start to act as one floor.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Going to screw the boards down, they did say to use stixall but screws can be used.

There wa another video on YB i watched where the guy starts cutting out the trusses after installation, and he mention he can feel the roof moving as each beam takes up the load.

10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I bet taking the trusses out will need a few changes of underwear then!:eek::D

FatHands, KIAB, koolpc and 1 other person like this.
  11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

What are you going to use for flooring? I'd be tempted to use something more substantial than chipboard, like plywood, although you'd lose the T&G aspect.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The other thing I have had to do is position packer at some points where they meet the nodes and before screwing into.

As some beams aren't plumb so have had to wedge out a bit to get the tops flat.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

They have advised to use P5 22mm chipboard.

KIAB likes this.
  14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yep I'd go with that. Seems like a sensible option. Screwing this into the telebeams will make the flooring part of the structure and massively strengthen it.

KIAB likes this.
  15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Going to be scary.

Think I will take out the ends first, not in a row, so load gets distributed evenly.

Abbadon2001 and KIAB like this.
  16. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Working your way inwards?
    Seems a good idea, as going from one end to the other would probably cause a lot more noise from wight shifting.

I would be tempted to take out every second one, working from the outside, so the weight is distributed more slowly and evenly.

KIAB and koolpc like this.
  17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That's sound like a better idea.

The thing I dont get is the ceiling could still have movement as is not independent; i.e as it's still attached at the nodes. So if floor above moves then ceiling below will move.

It's probably a good job I didn't remove all the noggins, only notched by about 8mm so still quite strong.

Aiming to get all the beams in this week and the stair way opening made as well.

KIAB and Joe95 like this.
  18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You are so brave!!! Plus you are working very hard.

19. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I know it is far off, but will you be doing the electrical work yourself Jit?

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I'm not registered, but have done a whole house rewire on my own.

Going to get the upstairs light circuit renewed and looking to use the surewire joint boxes, rather than loop in out.