Telephone wires and NTE5 master socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by unphased, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Parpee

Parpee Member

Trig,

So this ADSL signal finds it way just fine over the 5km of 50-year-old twisted pair cable and endless numbers of joints from the exchange to your house, and then, for the last 5mtrs, it inexplicably needs a "high speed cable".

Maplin just see them coming!

Ring Ring

2. Parpee

Parpee Member

UP,

Regarding the original problem. Try connecting your telephone to the filtered output of the ADSL filter, and listen to it. Then try connecting directly to the line (no filter), and listen again. If there is ADSL on your line then it should be perceptibly noisier with the filter removed.

This, incidentally, is all the filter really does. The ADSL output of the filter is unfiltered. But you usually have to use the filter anyway because most ADSL modems require an RJ45 connection, and the filter provides that.

Toot Toot

3. Elec Tech

Elec Tech Member

UP,

Regarding the original problem. Try connecting your
    telephone to the filtered output of the ADSL filter,
    and listen to it. Then try connecting directly to
    the line (no filter), and listen again. If there is
    ADSL on your line then it should be perceptibly
    noisier with the filter removed.

This, incidentally, is all the filter really does.
    The ADSL output of the filter is unfiltered. But
    t you usually have to use the filter anyway because
    most ADSL modems require an RJ45 connection, and the
    filter provides that.

Toot Toot

I alaways thought the adsl filter had a rj11 connection, rj45 is a network type connection.

Colin
    Elec Tech

4. Parpee

Parpee Member

UP,

Another thought - I presume if you've connected the PC to the LAN side of the modem you can access the modem and monitor the WAN (ADSL) line status?

Does that show any indication of life?

As suggested already, the modem could be faulty, or incorrectly set up, but the smart money would be on BT not having connected it up at the exchange.

One of your neighbours is probably on the phone right now to BT complaining that their line's gone all noisey since Christmas.

Good luck

Parp Parp

5. Parpee

Parpee Member

I alaways thought the adsl filter had a rj11 connection, rj45 is a network type connection.

Colin,

You're right - I stand corrected.

Cheers

6. theorysparky

theorysparky New Member

you said it wasnt to be activated until Jan ?
    I reckon BT havnt activated it yet I would suggest that you contact BT and say yr adsl is not working
    Dont mention Talk Talk to them and see what they say,
    Even BT (Bombay Telecom) can read a screen !!!

7. trigger happy

trigger happy New Member

Ok I couldn't manage to upload pics, but at last managed to locate cable on Maplins web site.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=45162&doy=14m1

As I said before it worked for me and I was having endless problems and it was only as a last resort I thought I'd try Maplins as I was passing their door.
    All I can say is try it - it only cost me £9.99, and it was well worth the try.

8. fooman

fooman New Member

yeah they took you for a mug trigger :(

9. Parpee

Parpee Member

Oh Lord!! :O

It's got gold plated RJ11s! Has anyone seen any other type?

£25 for 20mtrs of twisted pair cable!

It's ABSOLUTE BULL!!!!

Wonder if the images on the Internet are sharper and more roundly defined with better separation and superior colourimetry? Might try one when I'm next surfin the Johnny Vaughan, see if I get a harder jobbie on me Hampton!

Before wasting yer money on this did you try polishing the pins on the 13Amp plugtop for the modem with some brasso to get a better shine on them? Better still you could have run a separate dedicated radial in 16mm ....... OK I'll stop.

Sorry to be sarcastic Trig, but I know no other way.

Fnarr Fnarr

10. trigger happy

trigger happy New Member

Needs must when the devil drives!

11. RMH

RMH New Member

"So this ADSL signal finds it way just fine over the 5km of 50-year-old twisted pair cable and endless numbers of joints from the exchange to your house, and then, for the last 5mtrs, it inexplicably needs a "high speed cable"."
    Here Here!
    It always makes me laugh just how easy it is to part people from their hard earned, CAT5 this, CAT6 that, high speed modems, cables and the like. Broadband in 99% of cases arrives at your front door on std BT single pair, that is CAT2 to all the high speed wannabee's. Dont waste your money.
    Oh and by the way a CAT5E LAN is good for way over 1GB if your listening.

12. trigger happy

trigger happy New Member

The fact I tried everything else and nothing worked.
    I spent a lot of time testing cables and connections to make sure they were all sound. The telephone worked fine as it was, but as soon as I installed the router we had a lot of problems that wouldn't go away. Somedays it worked then just when you least expect it, it crashed!
    It was very frustrating.
    So since installing the high speed connection we have not had a problem.
    So draw your own conclusion.

13. cockneycowboy

cockneycowboy New Member

Before Xmas, I had a problem with my BT broadband connection dropping out...OK, it was my Xmas lights that caused it....Ain't it a pain talking to these call-centres in India ?....I could not explain that it was physically impossible for me to connect my computer to the BT linebox in the porch due to lack of room. They read their "script" & would not deviate from it....Malkie

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

unphased, have you got another modem/router you could whack in to test if the line is working ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

15. urie

urie New Member

I would try talktalk forums they are really helpfull
    http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/ they can do line tests e.c.t

Also beware if you need to get BT engineer out and you have replaced master socket and it is not a BT original one with logo. You will be charged for work needed an can be even fined by BT:( here is web page with info on BT socket wireing. http://www.buzzhost.co.uk/colourcodes.php

Blue/White Band - 'B' Leg Pair 1 (Terminal 2)
    White/Blue Band - 'A' Leg Pair 1 (Terminal 5)

onl;y connect up these two wire don't connect up bell wire 3 it is not used any more and can interfere with adsl signal.

16. britishblue

britishblue New Member

urie, why are you responding to a thread that is two years old?

BB

17. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

18. fooman

fooman New Member

how sad reading posts from 2 years ago :(

19. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

I think it happens with newbies because they use the search function to find sumat that interests them then don't look at the date and assume it's recent?

Or maybe their just Fick! :^O