telephone with DSL plug on

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by steve CF, Sep 10, 2008.

1. steve CF

steve CF New Member

Am i missing something here

I bought a cordless landline telephone when i came to plug it into the DSL filter it has a DSL plug on the end not a standard BT type plug. So it will only go into the DSL socket and is now causing problems with the broadband

2. Eye Squared R

Eye Squared R Active Member

Steve I would go to Maplin and buy a 4 Way telephone plus and change it - alternatively you could open the filter and solder the lead to the socket pins.

3. steve CF

steve CF New Member

it seems like some continental type telephone plug ive never seen them used before. Thing is i bought it from Argos so you would think it was compatible with a stand BT socket.

4. mainman

mainman New Member

you have bought a digital phone they use these on the new business digital set up its so you only vae to install adsl lines so can be used for phone or computer

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

It is not a 'DSL' plug. It is an RJ11, most likely a 6P4C.

Some phones come as standard with this type of plug, but also contain a converter in the box. This does cause issues, as some folk do manage to plug it into the DSL side of filters.

You can buy a new line cord, or replace the plug if you have the required crimp tool. I would do it for ya by return of post for a couple quid.

6. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I do mean that DSL also uses an RJ11, but it is not the only thing that does ;)

7. jamieblatant

jamieblatant New Member

if no one else will ask i will

have you nicked a snazzy phone from a office you have been working in only to get it home and find out it wont work because its not connected to an internal telephone exchange

8. jamieblatant

jamieblatant New Member

if no one else will ask i will

have you nicked a snazzy phone from a office you have been working in only to get it home and find out it wont work because its not connected to an internal telephone exchange

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Some phones have that connector and it goes into the <u>phone</u>. Unlikely, if you already have a plug plugged into your phone!!!!!!!

Mr. Handyandy - really