Temp. Washing Machine

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by spannerw, Oct 24, 2021.

1. spannerw

spannerw Active Member

Morning All
    My built in washing machine in the kitchen has died. I can’t get an engineer out till next week.
    I have a spare machine in the garage which I have fed with a hose pipe. I am currently running the dirty water into buckets which I have to keep emptying down the drain.
    My question is, the other side of the garage wall is a down pipe from the garage gutter which I believe goes to a soak away. How naughty would it be to temporarily run the waste water into the soak away?
    Many thanks

2. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

If you have separate foul and surface water sewers, highly illegal and with quite sever penalties for getting caught.

3. spannerw

spannerw Active Member

Thank you @andy48.
    I feared that may be the case. Any idea how I would find out for definite what sort of sewers I have?

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Be fine for a few washes. I never said that though.. Our washing drained on patio for months and run off on garden. People wash all sorts outside and water don't go down drain.

Re dead washing machine.

Any flashing lights is a code. Either staying on or not lit and you can look that up online.
    You can also run engineers test program which runs through everything by holding down buttons to start. Only takes a few minutes and will stop at the fault point vs running full wash program lasting hours.

Clean the filter and shine torch inside filter hole and look at impeller (fan) ours had a elastic band around. That's an easy fix and common fault.

5. spannerw

spannerw Active Member

Hi @Wayners
    The fault code is saying pump needs cleaning. First time it happened I found 5p in there. Cleaned it all out and tried again. Keeps coming up with same code. Done it 4 times now, so I am guessing possibly a faulty pump.

6. spannerw

spannerw Active Member

Attached Files:

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Run cleaning fluid through. Buy from supermarket and look up in manual what you need to do to run cleaning cycle.it's a hot wash.

That black sludge blocks pipes and pump. Liquid tabs are the problem so always use calgon. It dose work.stops the mould

Could be pump though as you say. They last about 5 years. Easy diy job if your game and about £25

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Also when you empty filter put your finger in or a pen and spin the impeller. Fan thing. It will turn easy and judder a bit on magnets.

9. spannerw

spannerw Active Member

I did that, turns and judders like you say. Got insurance cover on kitchen goods so will phone them Monday morning. Thanks for all your help tho.

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Ah.
    Yeah. Let them sort it under insurance.
    A while back I took pump off to check and oh boy. Black sludge and the smell. I cleaned it all out and pump run fine and started using calgon but a few months later it was flashing error code again. I figure between that elastic band and sludge it killed the motor with the strain