Temporary fix for leaking wetroom floor?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Captain Howdy, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Captain Howdy

Captain Howdy New Member

Hi all,

Have been a long time user of these forums, have been able to solve most of my own DIY problems by reading other peoples' similar woes and following the advice given to them.

Couldn't find anything for what I'm trying to fix right now - moved into a new house recently. Would have liked to gutted the place and done up from scratch, but have neither the time nor the budget right now. Will have to wait until next year. In the meantime, have had to patch up the odd thing here and there.

Main issue left right now is an upstairs wetroom. No idea when it was done, or by who, or how well, but am sure water leaks through wetroom floor, because there is an ominous yellow patch on ceiling directly below the wetroom. My gut feeling is that it's not the plumbing underneath the floor that's leaking, rather it's the tiled wetroom floor itself, and possibly the tiled walls too. I can hear a faint crunching sound when I step on some of the tiles, which tells me there is some movement, and also I can see fine hairline cracks in the grout between adjacent floor tiles, and some wall tiles.

My plan is to eventually get rid of the wetroom altogether, and replace it with a shower tray and cubicle. I just wonder if there is any way of implementing a temporary fix that will see me through for a good few months? I'm not too bothered about it looking pretty naff for now, I just need to be able to use the shower in that room.

Had a look round on google for waterproof flooring and barriers, didn't really see anything that fits the bill. I think I can fix the walls by covering with wide plastic cladding. Not sure if I could glue this straight on, or screw onto thin timber batons attached to the tiled wall.

Not too sure if there's a temporary fix for the floor, which is the main thing that needs attention.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Many thanks,
    CH.

2. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Tbh most shower trays/enclosures have a time life of ? some are professionally fitted and some fitted diy slipshyte style. they will all need regular maintenance to prevent water leakage (ask your insurance company for written details-see small print of diy by a novice)

Bespoke low level trays are available to sit on top of the leaky wet room floor under the shower flow,there not cheap but a perfect solution for another 10 years of no leaks :cool:

such an easy repair for a proper trades person who actually understands shower flooring ! Have seen it all before :mad:

TT;)

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

If you're going to be ripping it all out and tossing it anyway, then you could do a temporary hack that will last a couple of years by just painting the whole wetroom with a couple of coats of tanking slurry. It's easily waterproof enough and flexible enough to cope with a fair amount of movement of the tiles underneath. It'll look awful but it will work. Just don't let anyone have a go at it with a scrubbing brush because it's not a very hard wearing surface. My guess is that it would serve you well for at least a couple of years. If you use the blue tanking slurry, it could even look quite trendy! You could become an 'influencer' by tweeting it.

4. Captain Howdy

Captain Howdy New Member

Thanks for the ideas, all.

The Teach - bespoke level tray sounds like a good idea, very much doubt I'm competent enough to fit one correctly, Will struggle to get anyone round to do it in this time of self-isolation either.

Rogerk101 - Have used tanking slurry before, turned a brown/grey colour when it dried, have never see the blue stuff before.

After looking around, I came across another idea - fibreglass. I've never used this or applied it myself, but I've seen videos of people using this for floors, walkways and roofs. Apparently it's water impermeable too. Foe example, in the video below.

Wonder if this would be a good temporary fix for my nuisance wetroom floor?

Many thanks,
    CH.