Temporary table top

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by HowardJDavies, Nov 11, 2019.

1. HowardJDavies

HowardJDavies New Member

I have a 1.2m diameter glass table for which I want to build a temporary 1.5m wooden top that will sit on top of it (to accommodate extra guests). I was thinking of cutting two 1.5m diameter semi-circles from some sheet material and then butt joining them with a square 1.2m x 1.2m wooden frame that will also locate it on top of the existing table.

My question, for which I would appreciate advice, is what sheet material is best and what thickness? The overhang will be approx 15cm on all sides, so not much. I am trying to minimise the weight and also have something that I can keep in the garage for occasional use.

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Few ideas

Buy planks and stick together. Belt sander and filler on the top. Cut to shape. B@Q sell planks and seen some nice stuff made with them like a bar top.
    Put breakfast bar legs into google. Good for table legs and start at £2.50 but get some that adjust height.
    You can use a door as a table top. That's all some of IKEA table tops are like. Hollow and light.

As for your question.
    Get block board if you can find it. The wood blocks in the centre won't buckle or bend. Should hold it's shape.

Ply would work too, but you will need frame to hold it stiff I guess.

Mdf is nice to work with but heavy if thick sheet. Probably better if you use thinner boards and fill centre like a door. A bit hollow.

See what others say now I've got my say

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I have a sheet of 18mm MDF in the workshop that I use for exactly that purpose on high days and holidays to make our 6x3 foot dining table into a 7x4 foot. The overhang at each end/side is 150mm and it's fine - there's no sag. I've rounded off the edges and corners and a few strips of router mat hold it security in place. It just goes back in the sheet goods rack when not needed.

4. HowardJDavies

HowardJDavies New Member

Thank you both.

5. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Depends if you want a nice finish, or plain and simple that will be covered.

If you want "nice" go for 18mm Birch Ply, and then double up at teh edges about 50mm wide, just cut 300mm lengths 70 or so wide glue in place and then trim to the semi circle.

Which ever you do, do for two halves, cut a few biscuit slots and glue them in one half, and have a couple of clips to hold the halves together.

If you go much more than 15-18mm thick the extra height will make it uncomforatable to use - just try putting a 35mm packer under your plate and then try to eat.

Juts to add: My Breakfast bar is made from 18mm Birch Ply with an additional 18mm round the edge. Varnish with Ronseal Diamond Hard and after 5 year still straight and flat, and looks fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2019