Terminating the earth wire in a light switch patress

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by diymostthings, Jun 21, 2011.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Apologies if this topic has been done to death but having searched the forum I couldn't quite see an exact answer to my question.

All plastic patress, switch securing-threads are brass inserts into the plastic, no grub screw or other facility for securing the (unwanted) earth wire. Is it permissable to simple cut off the earth wire flush with the outer sheath, or leave it floating and tape up the end.

Thank you

diymostthings

2. bluevelvet

bluevelvet New Member

Don't cut it off, maybe needed later if the box is changed to metal ,leave it long enough and sleeve it with G/Y. choc box/crimp or tape the CPC to make it safe

3. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Thanks so much bluevelvet- the perfect answer for me!

diymostthings

4. J.P.

J.P. New Member

I believe the terminology used for earths in this situation is ''Parked Earth''..the parked earth is always handy for some testing purposes..;)

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You could always 'park' it round one of the box-wall fixing screws.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. pefc

pefc New Member

ive seen this argument before about "parking" it round a fixing screw, and whilst i agree there is nothing wrong with it, it does seem kinda weird. However i have a massive problem with the term "parked". some things just dont need a name. some people have too much time on their hands.

7. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I believe you can purchase terminals to fit in the plastic back boxes for just such instances.

8. J.P.

J.P. New Member

9. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Because over the past few years manufacturers have become too tight to fit them as standard.