Terracing steep garden and room in the hill

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by TheGrovesy, Oct 9, 2018.

1. TheGrovesy

TheGrovesy Member

We are considering purchasing a new house but the main off-putting factor is the rather steep back garden and currently it is not child friendly. its about 20 meters deep and 10 wide, and i would say it has an angle of about 30 degrees. I have a couple of questions:

1) I know there are many factors when it comes to terracing gardens but is anyone able to give a very rough idea on cost to create say 3 terraces cross the 10 meter width so that each terrace is level. Are we talking a few thousand or more like 10K, 20K etc?

2) This is a rather wacky one but I also had the crazy idea of having a garden building inside one of the terraces so that there is a door into it, flush with one of the terrace walls! I was thinking maybe something like a shipping container. Above it would only be about foot of soil so grass could grow (or less if we want with artificial grass). Has anyone done anything like this? is it that crazy that its a no-go?

Many thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Walk away,especially if not child friendly.

Can easily become a money pit,once your start digging you might find poor ground conditions, & you need reinforced concrete walls to retain everything,don't forget drainage, the cost soon mount up,your then getting into thousands, most likely tens of thousands.

3. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

You don't need RC walls. There are various cellular retaining walls with blocks that stack on top of each other, I have them in my garden. You would need a big digger and lots of free draining aggregate (ie gravel) for backfill.

Edit - my house has this system in a bank to create a terrace about 2m high https://www.externalworksindex.co.u...toatlas-concrete-interlocking-retaining-wall/

You can also get timber and fabric versions

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  4. TheGrovesy

TheGrovesy Member

@Richard_ thanks for the reply... I never got notified so have only just seen it. We are still considering purchasing the property so it's good to hear something positive about this.
    I have also been looking into the retaining wall cages which could be an option.
    I don't suppose you have a photo of your garden? Would be interested in seeing what you have done. Was it expensive?