Testers - Which Would You Choose?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JP., Oct 1, 2017.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got the next one up in the range, the Fluke T130,superb kit,it has a few extra features,like display hold,vibration,torch,etc, but little to justify the extra expense.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Mr K..what do you reckon the T110 is like?..looks good enough for my diy stuff, and it seems fairly priced for what it is

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

It all depends on how much you use it the t90 is good but our hosts are overcharging

KIAB likes this.
  6. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

8. leesparkykent

9. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Both items are useful JP.
    The detector is great if in attic/under boards and need to indicate/ find ........dead/live cables quickly. Or live sockets/switches unless metallic( but not definitive....more of a quick guide)
    The tester is a quick handy small tough item...which will go in a pocket.
    Treat your self to both...
    RS

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Guys many thanks for your inputs seriously appreciated. Weighing things up and obviously bearing in mind that I am not a sparky by any means, I think the one Lee has posted seems to be the best for me, and it is very reasonably priced (very good link that isswww.co) not sure about the detector as I have used one of those type many years ago (admittedly they must have improved a fair bit since then) and it ended up on the shelf so to speak..flaming thing lit up by just waving it in the air. However saying that a pukka company like Fluke and others would not manufacturer a heap of junk, so if I move (I know exactly where every cable is in my gaff at present) I will also purchase one of those.

Once again thanks lads - what a luxury to be able to post about testers, and virtually get your mind made up for you as to what one to buy....brilliant stuff.

leesparkykent and KIAB like this.
  11. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

JP, you really can't compare the two items you linked to though. They are completely differing beasts. One can detect whether a voltage is present (the pen) The other one can prove a circuit is dead (very useful) I have a Martindale detector pen which I can light up simply by rubbing it against the carpet (static electricity) Doesn't mean my carpets are going to electrocute me. ;););)

12. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

JP the pen type indicators are brilliant for a quick check on a power lead to see if the fuse has blown. Great for finding a break in the cable on an extension lead. Finding the faulty lamp on series connected mains operated christmas lights (although not so common these days). Is there power to this socket? Lightswitch? Pendant? Solenoid? etc, etc and because you can keep them in a pocket convenient.

I work mainly in a factory and wouldn't be without mine.

kind regards

13. leesparkykent

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  14. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Lee the second link doesn't work.

Kind regards

leesparkykent likes this.
  15. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Testing for dead needs a proving unit in theory, however as long as the tester can't be turned off or to wrong setting the chances of it failing between testing the item is live and testing it is dead is very slim, so tester to test dead should not need a battery, so impossible for the battery to go flat. This tester states "Detects voltage up to 690V AC/DC, even with flat batteries." so that is the one I would select, the others may also detect with flat batteries, but unless it says it will then really it's a non starter. Any multi-meter will detect voltage, but can be set to wrong range or batteries can become discharged, so no point in paying more than a cheap multi-meter unless it is safer, to be safer most be no button, or selector switch that can be in wrong position or battery other wise no point.

Yes the neon screwdriver also has no batteries, but it needs your finger on end for it to light and is unreliable often giving false readings, however they are good for detecting when power returns when working on something and shared neutrals so do have their place, today we have clamp on ammeters so we can detect shared neutrals without using a neon screwdriver, but we should never have shared neutrals so we tend to get lazy and not test for them.

I have only worked on one job where we had proving units, on that job it was instant dismissal if found working without one, however the proving unit produced 500 volt which means at 55 volt it is possible the tester does not work, so rather pointless, proving units should ramp up and down to show works on all voltages, without the ramp up and down one has to ask what is the point?

Multi-meters start at £7.43 on screwfix OK not with GU38 leads, but really no point paying more than that for a voltage tester unless it has no switches, buttons or batteries which can cause it not to work.