Testing Artex for asbestos?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by mac456, Nov 13, 2017.

1. mac456

mac456 New Member

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had their Artex tested for Asbestos before? if so how did you do it as I am finding it very hard to find the correct procedure.

I have seen a few websites which offer self testing kits but I am slightly worried about doing it wrong and contaminating the room/carpet from cutting it away... is it easy to avoid this?

Are there any companies recommended? I am from the Birmingham area.. The end result will be to hopefully Skim over the top of it but I just want to know what I am dealing with (New house I have moved into)

Thanks,
    Mac

2. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

If it's a new house it would be highly unlikely to have any asbestos in the Artex mix.

KIAB likes this.
  3. mac456

mac456 New Member

Sorry its not a new house - Its a new house to me.

It was built in 1950s

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Highly likely it will contain Artex,is still being manufactured with asbestos up until 1984, & in use until the 1990's.

Wouldn't disturb it, just skim over it.

Astramax likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Totally agree with KIAB, skim over.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Agree!!!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Greenspace

Greenspace New Member

Hi - we are renovating a 1960s house and recently went through all this. Ours tested positive in a proper full survey so we decided to remove all the ceilings because we are rewiring, replumbing and reinsulating anyway and it just makes it all easier (and no loft access). But if you're not planning on big works then a cheap DIY test kit should be fine (being careful to wet wipe away any dust you generate) and then just skim as everyone says.
    We also had asbestos in the boiler flue and in the electrical board lining - standard in 60s apparently!
    Good luck. (PS Artex stands for Asbestos Reinforced TEXtured coating).

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Some floor & ceiling tiles also contain asbestos, as did Zonolite,a vermiculite type loft insulation,again used until the 90's.

9. mac456

mac456 New Member

Thanks everyone. No major plans to be had with this room so a re skim would work fine.

I have ordered the test so I will let you know the out come.

Cheers