Testing if there's lime in my mortar.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by D055189, Jun 11, 2019.

1. D055189

D055189 New Member

Hi.
    Can anyone help me. I'm looking for a way of testing if theres lime in my mortar mix.
    Its a long story. Had the front of my house re plastered. It's an old stone wall building. Unfortunately when the builder fitted new window sills, he didn't put enough of a tilt in them. So another builder has told me they need re doing. And that my property should be a lime rendered, and not concrete render. Is there a way to test of there's lime in the mix. As 1 builder is telling me there is, and the other is saying there isn't and needs lime to allow the property to breathe. It's been done using Hanson multicem cement. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

The is a lot of scare stories over putting cement on stone buildings. I have three stone cottages built in the 1870's all in South Wales near the coast and guess what no issues with damp or cracking of the render just like most of the other properties around South Wales.

Why are you worried about the tilt on the window sill ? is the rain coming in ?

3. D055189

D055189 New Member

Water is coming in around window sills. Also behind the window sills is filling with water. I can see this, as the inner window sill has been removed.

New builder has quoted,you'll have trouble with damp with that render. As cement doesn't allow for the old stones to breathe.

After seeing the poor workmanship of the previous builder with how his window sills have been fitted. It does make you think about the rest of his work.

4. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Two different problems

The concerns about cement render are that you may get condensation / mold / damp with cement render.

Water coming in around the window or with the sills is a different problem. Which was fitted first the render and the cill or the window ?

5. D055189

D055189 New Member

New window sill was fitted, concrete sills. Without removing windows. The render was put on after window sill fitted.

6. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

So the was it just the window reveals or the whole wall that was rendered ?

7. D055189

D055189 New Member

The whole wall on one side of the house was rendered.

8. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Is there caulk / sealant where the cill meets the window and render meets the frane ?

9. D055189

D055189 New Member

10. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

I think it would be easier if you could post some pictures of around the window and cill and any of the moisture coming in