Textured wallpaper - Best technique for smooth walls?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Madmax83, Jan 3, 2023.

1. Madmax83

Madmax83 Active Member

Hi all

I've recently moved into a house that has textured wallpaper everywhere!

The walls seem solid, the wallpaper is in good condition, no peeling anywhere, we just want smooth walls to paint on.

Here is a pic of the current wallpaper https://ibb.co/9Ymwm8h
    [​IMG]

We are going to be doing a major renovation in around 3-5 years time so we aren't looking for a very long term solution, just something that would last for a few years.

Now it seems there are multiple ways of doing this...
    1. Remove wallpaper and skim/re-plaster - This is the proper way of doing things but also the most expensive and would like to keep costs down where possible. Would need to hire a plasterer.
    2. Skim over existing wallpaper - Maybe cheaper than option 1 but will still need a plasterer
    3. Use lining paper over existing wallpaper - The cheapest option and something I would do myself, but what will the finish be like?
    Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated and if there is any other routes you would take.

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Why not just strip the paper and see what the walls are like? A bit of making good if necessary and paint away.

Unless you get a really good spread you'll be doing some making good before you paint anyway and your wallet will be feeling undernourished.

3. Madmax83

Madmax83 Active Member

I just don't want to create a bigger job if I don't have to but it is a potential option. I could be lucky like you say and only need a bit of filling but I would have to be prepared to go down the first 2 options if I do that.

As I mentioned, the current state of the wallpaper throughout the house is pretty good minus a few holes here and there. It needs very little prep work.

4. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

That looks like woodchip. Don’t put anything over it. Either strip it or paint it as is until you’re ready to undertake your bigger project. There isn’t really an acceptable alternative that won’t
    waste your time and money.

5. Truckcab79

So what you need is Option 4. Steam paper off. Fill any damage then lining paper and paint

Madmax83 likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Stay well away from a wallpaper steamer unless you want to blow the plaster off the walls, simply use the No Nonsense Long Handled Scraper or similar, Screwfix Stock Number 16530, this will quickly fetch it off the paper in a dry state then finish with a good soaking with hot soapy water (washing up liquid) scrape off after letting soak for 5 minutes.

Wearing a dust mask is further good advice. ;)

Madmax83 likes this.
  7. Truckcab79

Good point. I do use one but I’m always very careful not to leave it in one area for too long as it will pop the plaster off the wall on older properties. Scraping often quicker when the paper has been painted too, just got to be careful not to do more damage digging the blade edges into the plaster.

I tend to use a thin palette knife / scraper with the corners ground off rather than the bladed ones.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I would rather repair minor scratch damage than have to re-plaster.

9. Madmax83

Madmax83 Active Member

Thanks all, removing the wallpaper first does seem to be the consensus and I guess deep down I know it is the right thing to do.

Thanks Astramax for the scraper recommendation.

Do I need to be concerned with asbestos when removing the wallpaper?

10. Truckcab79

Just need to be careful. Steamer will only pop off plaster that’s on its last legs and has de-bonded anyway. But you’re right to raise it for anyone not used to doing it. Tough lesson to learn once it’s too late and you’ve done it. Good way to find out how bad your plaster is mind. :D

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No.