The EU will focus..........

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Mr. Handyandy, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

...said the lady in a live debate in a broad foreign accent.

I agreed with her.

Wish I had the live subtitles running to see what they thought she had said!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

longboat, teabreak, PhilSo and 2 others like this.
  2. That took me a few seconds... :oops: :)

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Na sounds like she was right to me!;)

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

You and me, both at the same time :p

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Focus on what though? Have the EU bought a new zoom lens for a camera? A magnifying glass for burning ants in the summer sun, or reading the small print? I dunno Handy, a rather cryptic post IMHO. :D :D :D :D

6. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Think Focus in a Chinese sort of way,

FOC US

7. 'Cryptic' my focussing arris.

8. joinerjohn1

Well DA, the only thing the EU will be focussing on is screwing as much money as they can out of the UK before the "contributions/ membership fees " stop altogether. In fact I wonder , when we've paid our due, if they'll come back 10 yrs down the line asking for more,, along the lines of "Sacre bleu, Monsieur UK, I know you paid ze amount requested, but we av overspent on zingz in ze last ten years and need more to continue our grand social experiment." "Zoot Alors."

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Exactly! Focus completely.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Of course they will try and get as much as they can from us, after all it was our own stupidity that clowns were influenced to vote leave by wet dreams of racism and xenophobia. I despair of some of my countrymen!

But, worse, I really fear for the future under this right wing Tory government, mark my words all but the very rich will end up suffering in the near future. Mrs May supports the Spanish regime that sent in riot police to injure 700 Catalans who simply wanted to place a vote in a ballot box (!) - only time will tell if the Tories think they could get away with that here, as well, I suppose!

11. The EU isn't going to try and get 'as much as they can out of us'; they will simply hold out for what we legally owe them under the terms and agreements of our membership.

The actual figure will be a matter of dispute, but only within a small margin - the loose change. The actual figure will be pretty much obvious to both sides when all the calcs have been done by both sides.

And that's the amount.

Yes, Mrs May Supports the Spanish regime in the Catalonian situation - as does every other democratic nation. No country has declared they'd acknowledge Catalonia's independence.

Why? Because it's the constitutionally and legally correct response.

(Ok, how the Spanish handled this by sending in their thugs was not, in any way, justifiable. Or smart. It was utterly repellent and ultimately counter-productive. In short, it was staggeringly stupid.)

Yes, we have a natural and historical sympathy for Catalonia, but that shouldn't cloud our vision. What a coincidence that they want independence - and just happen to be one of the wealthiest areas in Spain...

What next? London decides is wants independence? After all - it would be SWIMMING in money if it did!

What if us grockles find gold in them thar fields? Suddenly Devon reckons it could be super-wealthy - if it can only leave the rest of the UK behind and not have to share it?

What fuelled Scotland's desire for Indy? Only one thing - the fuel. (And jingoism...)

Spain has come through a hell of a lot in very recent terms - from a dictatorship only back in the 1970's, for pity's sakes.

This is all part of the Trump/Brexit/Nationalistic delusion - how great things would be if only we could stamp on others and remove ourselves from what holds us back - them 'others'.

How little we learn from history.

(Oh, and if Catalonia were to achieve indy and then were then refused entry to the EU, they'd be royally fluffed. Those who voted should know this - but, as with Brexiters here, that doesn't cross their minds. It's not what drives them.)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2017
  12. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Disappointed in that idiotic comment from you, DA.

The SNP have been campaigning for Independence for much longer than the discovery of oil in the North Sea.

And Catalonia's history is entirely different to London's, so to attempt any comparison is meaningless.

13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

14. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Say it as it is, man!
    :D

15. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I'm disappointed that I couldn't find anything to disagree with here.
    I'm not quite as miffed anymore.
    Now I'm happy again.
    That bout of dejection didn't last long.
    Phew!

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  16. joinerjohn1

Christ DA, if you believe that, then you really are a fool.

17. Fair point, Lancs. But the relative few who have campaigned for Indy all those years would have got nowhere without 'oil'.

Until 'oil', they were just considered a small bunch of almost charming loons.

Whichever country you look at - however wealthy and democratic and fair they may be - you will always have a tiny contingent of Nationalists.

Bless.

Lancs, I have grown up with a notable SNP contingent in my area - and a bunch of small minded thugs they generally were. I have campaigned on the wee Scottish island from whence I came, and the SNP supporters didn't give a fig about anyone but themselves.

It was utterly embarrassing to talk to them about what they wanted from the forth-coming election. Often I would just look at them as they spouted forth - until they realised how completely self-indulgent they were being, and dried up in embarrassment; me me me me wha's like us.

18. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

You use a personal homily from a tiny island to blacken SNP supporters, who make up a huge proportion of Scots - talk about 'broad-brush' opinionising.

Do you ever watch 'Scottish Questions' (monthly immediately preceding PMQs) and see the utter disdain that my English countrymen pour on any Scottish MP? Similarly Treeza never answers an SNP question, but spits venom at them - I'm ashamed to watch. No wonder the Indy movement is frightening the life out of the Establishment - good luck to them.

You add "you will always have a tiny contingent of Nationalists.", are you sure you mean that in regard to the SNP?? Largest party in Scotland when I last looked:rolleyes:.

19. Why Scotland and England?

Why not 'the UK'?

I've had it up to here (holding hand waaaay high) with disunity.

As for the SNP, I say it as I've seen it. And I've really seen it at first hand.

But... I am talking about 'hardened' SNP supporters, the 'fundamentalists'. I am not talking about the recent converts - who will, just as quickly, disappear. Revert.

They are merely deluded. Ill-informed. Politically ignorant. Sold a pup. Like Brexiters... :rolleyes:

20. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

You may well throw your hands up about "disunity", but, to my mind, the Scots have every reason to want out of this corrupt, one-sided union. English politicians have sold them down the river many times (the classic being the McCrone report on oil, which was 'classified for thirty years). A bit like the present report on the effects of Brexit seemingly being hidden from us all. Why do we allow these Tories to walk all over us?

Oh yes and have you seen the promises of ships for the Clyde (made during the Indy referendum), yet now disappearing, to Liverpool - Scots will vote for indy next time, on the principle of "Fool me once.........".