"The Front Door"

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by enc, May 11, 2020.

1. enc

enc Active Member

yes, one coat though there were a couple of patches after it had dried where it needed another run over with the brush. the paint is excellent and very easy to apply. I think it helped that there's a "grain" on the surface of the door.

2. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

Hmmm, never had the best eyesight...

enc likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Does look good indeed, very satisfying end job and for not a lot of ££ either

Need to paint my UPVC door but weather has been terrible last few weeks, didn’t get round to it over the last few dry months :(

When we chose our door, of course we didn’t go with any of the stock colours, that would have been too easy !

Other benefit of stock colours is that their solid colour through the UPVC skin so scratches aren’t an issue

Our door was sprayed to a selected RAL number, grey over a white skin - so scratches, which there are many, look terrible

Will also be using the Bedec MSP, have used a few times before and yes, it’s superb

koolpc and enc like this.
  4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Mine has a grain effect too..

5. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

Mine doesn't...:confused:

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The grain texture is a bonus which makes itself ideal for painting as the light is reflected in a different way than on a smooth flat surface.

7. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

Yes thanks, I've painted grained surfaces and much easier.

The smooth will be unforgiving I suppose, but the paint looks good and I'm happy to give it a go. The anthracite against a concrete grey will look better than my white door against the current disgusting sandy colour.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Photos before and after!:confused:

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I guess giving it a good key will do the trick. OP did a good job at the preparation stage.

10. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

Ha, can I get back to you on that...

May be a while off, still trying to get masonary paint.

11. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

Definitely.

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yes I’ve got real plastic grain on my door as well so that’s good to know it’s a bonus

Was concerned about the grey flaking / scratching off when we were discussing having it sprayed but of course the salesperson did a fantastic job of allaying our fears

Some months later, when scratches started appearing, of course, this wasn’t covered under any warranty details as we’d gone off the ‘norm’ and gone ‘custom’

Fair enough, some damage was beyond average wear and tear ... like when my youngest boy crashed head first on his bike into the front door as he ‘forgot to brake’ :mad:

13. enc

enc Active Member

yes, careful preparation is a must. degreasing and soft wire wool to get into the grain cleft. also, a tack cloth to remove the dust created by the sanding prep.
    preperation took twice as long as the actual painting.
    i only recently discovered the joys of frog tape... which gives a FAR superior edge to the standard masking tape id used to seal the glass on this door.

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

My ex works in a Paint trade place and still gets me discount :p

15. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

So I've finally done this, some pictures as requested. The pictures aren't the best quality but I'm very happy with the result.

Hope the OP doesn't mind. IMG-20201026-WA0006.jpg IMG-20201026-WA0007.jpg

Attached Files:

enc likes this.
  16. enc

enc Active Member

Lovely job Fraser. Looks particularly nice with the blue sections of glass. Totally Transformed with the other grey areas.

17. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

Thanks, for the comment and also the inspiration to do it, didn't think I'd get a good result till seeing your post. Was worried about the smooth surface, the first coat looked horrendous.

enc likes this.
  18. enc

enc Active Member

I guess laying paint on a smooth door is a bit trickier than on a “grained” door like mine. Be mindful it takes up to 30 days to fully harden perhaps even longer in current conditions. Apart from one wash down with a soapy sponge mine remains untouched...And still looking good.

19. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

Yes I'm aware of that, was quite nervous that my new handle hadn't arrived and had to use old one, but was unmarked after taking old one off, which is encouraging.

enc likes this.
  20. LeonWiddicombe

LeonWiddicombe Active Member

great work. To confirm, this is a composite door and not a timber door? I am in a new build and we have a black door, am keen to do it a dark grey like this.

enc likes this.