The Institute of Fiscal Studies

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Nov 2, 2017.

1. (Yeah - I simply refer to them all as the u-s, and slink away...)

2. Did you realise that most health insurance over there has a strict limit on claims. Once that limit is reached the person is 100% responsible for further costs, so that goes some way to explain that, and how Obamacare, or similar is actually a very GOOD idea, not a mess as claimed by Iir. But dont let facts and information get in the way of supporting Trump.

So its not really full health insurance cover anyway. And that, specifically, amongst other items was part of the Obamacare system.

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

There in lies the problem, Obama care looks to cure a problem but actually creates a bigger one.

The insurance company's see what Obama care proposes and takes full advantage of the loopholes left, meaning the less well off are, well just that, less well off and end up pennyless and still ill.

In principal its a good idea, in practice its a failure to a lot of people, the very people it sorts to help.

longboat likes this.
  4. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

5. Not everybody agrees with you.

Personally I still think it was too soon to judge.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/...acare-successes-failures-and-incompletes.html

6. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

7. If so, that was more by luck than knowledge.

But, how many has it helped that would definitely have been failed?

And your thoughts on the nhs future here, a la davis, gove, johnson and others? Discreetly forgotten ?

8. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Once that 350 mill is availible it'll be alright. :):)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Apology accepted.

10. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Let's hear your take on it. What do you think the sustainable future of the NHS should look like? How will you achieve what you want?

11. No. I will wait.

What do I want ? I want your thoughts on the nhs under the right wing element leading brexit.

I have asked it lots of times and it just gets ignored because it is unpallatable I guess.

So, lets see the brexiteers responses first.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  12. Made me smile.

But only for a moment

13. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

That's fine I'll start if you don't want to.
    I agree with, Gove, Boris et al, the nhs is a sitting duck if we don't bring in some form of partial privatisation into the mix.
    I'm not saying that this approach is entirely unavoidable, but I can't see any other practical way out unless the electorate, and those in government/opposition who pander to the electorate, can decide between themselves in a cross party consensus to tackle it without all the full on emotional virtuous vote winning stance at the forefront.
    Forget the political point scoring, the we've thrown this much more money at it than they have, vote for us if you care about the NHS. Shenanigans.

That's what it needs, I can't for the life of me begin to see it happen though. Can you?

14. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I’ll take that as an “ I have no idea, so don’t want to give an answer because I ain’t got a clue. “ :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

longboat likes this.
  15. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I'd say it's more a case of looking for the usual, "you support this, so you support everything they say".
    Criticise Obama.... you therefore adore, Trump.
    Criticise the, EU... you therefore hate all foreigners.
    Realise that the, NHS has become somewhat of a white elephant.... you despise the poor.

Same old ideologically driven carp, I'm afraid.
    Hey, ho.
    You can't educate pork.

16. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

That's truly shocking Jack. Tell you what, write off your car once a week for a month, get your house burgled once every quarter for a year and let us know how receptive your insurance company is, if their still willing to insure you. It's how it is mate, it's business. Obamacare doesn't change that, it just enforces a law that everybody should have 'affordable' insurance cover, it reduces the cost of cover for the poor while increasing the cost for the middle classes, puts pressure on companies to provide healthcare etc, but, that cover will still be **** , make a few claims and it will be worthless, it's how insurance works.

OR, are you saying that with Obamacare, everybody will have free unlimited healthcare, the blind will see and the lame will walk again. Hallelujah.

17. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Oh shut up Longs with your over complicating things,;), three things that would transform the INHS overnight.

1. Shut down the International Health Service and re-badge it as the National Health Service, we have women flying in from Nigeria to have babies in the UK, AIDS victims from other parts of Africa and basically people coming from all over the world to take advantage of our health service free at the point of delivery. Hospital management refuse to get involved in the politics of charging a fee claiming not to be 'immigration officers', or they simply write an invoice with no intention of pursuing it. Fine, sack them and put in place management fit for purpose, no three years residency, no treatment.

2. Stop all IVF treatment. It's sad if a couple can't have kids, but really!, come on, couples are demanding that it is there human right that the NHS should stump up tens of thousands for as many attempts at IVF in an attempt to bring more babies into an already overcrowded world. Sorry mate but you've got a low sperm count, have you thought about adoption?

3. Stop all gender re-assignment operations. Sorry mate, you're a bloke, much as you'd like to be a woman, you'll have to go private on that one.

Now, those 3 things alone would save hundreds of millions a week and that's without even thinking about efficiency savings and procurement savings.

As an aside, how many of those three points are covered under Obamacare?, I'll give you a clue.

18. If only it were that simple.

I do accuse the u-s on here of supporting what Trump says (and often the manner in which he says it) even if you claim to not like the actual guy because ideologically you are very very similar.

I know you lot cream your respective pants when either Farage says "BREAKING POINT!" or Trumps says "BUILD A WALL".

Anyone who has a nano-second of time for Farage and his patent personal agenda and the truly scurrilous and undignified manner in trying to achieve it, will ALSO have no issue with Trump's methods.

There is not a fug paper betwixt - as you well know.

This what you are.

Do you understand? This is what you are. :confused:

19. Wow.

And no surprise.

20. Well, JoT, you certainly made them lay out their ideologies for all to see :)

My gawd.