The Number Of Long Serving Members Still Left.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Rulland, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Hmm I've never been banned which is a miracle considering that in real world I tend to be a bit forthright :p:p

seneca likes this.
  2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

He has ... it was a phrase used on teh BBC to describe part-time office workers!

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It is fair to say the wrong person(s) got banned due to that particular post.

4. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

Hi

Some interesting reading here. I do not wish to warn, suspend or exclude anyone, however at times members of the Screwfix community do not leave me the choice to take action, with aggressive, offensive posts or believing that the rules do not apply to them and actively taking action to bypass our rules.

We moderate our own forum and warnings, suspensions and exclusions are given as required to ensure the smooth running of our forum.

Action is taken in line with our terms and conditions of use with you all agreed when joining as listed here https://community.screwfix.com/threads/terms-and-conditions.139186/ and in line with our moderation policy here https://community.screwfix.com/threads/forum-usage-rules.139187/

A couple I would like to highlight given recent activity which has caused me to take measures to prevent this activity.

Actions which will result in a temporary ban:

Conducting any of the actions listed below will result in a temporary ban being awarded. Should a user accrue 3 temporary bans they will have their user account permanently banned from use on the forum.

1. Swearing and Vulgarity – Actively working to get around the swear filter and posts containing or linking to profanity, obscenity, insults, personal attacks, accusations or abusive language will be deleted and will result in a temporary ban. Continued disregard for this rule will result in multiple temporary bans being received and multiple bans will result in a permanent ban. Do not post images that include inappropriate language or content. Masking characters to get around the swear filter is still considered profanity, as is using abbreviations that stand for profanity. Post titles and PM's are subject to the same restrictions as post content. Using inappropriate words that are not filtered, especially when aimed at others is not acceptable and will be dealt with accordingly. Posting words that you know will be filtered can make the posts hard to understand and posts that contain many words that have been filtered are not acceptable.

2. Harassing - This includes any kind of personal attack, targeted harassment or intimidation either by posts or private messages. If you have concerns about the treatment you are receiving at the hands of another member, don’t respond in kind; report the posts or messages and feel free to contact a moderator for assistance.

These rules are in place to make sure that our community is a friendly place to share knowledge and help other members and others that simply use our forum as a resource for advice. Not a place for arguments, bickering and other disruptive behaviour.

Peter

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    I-Man, Sparkielev, Rulland and 2 others like this.
  5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Amen to the above Peter ……, Er……. I take it that’s ok to say ????

In general, we have a great forum here, yes sure, members come and go and at times, it’s pretty quite without many questions being asked or other activity but ….. that’s all just normal and like life itself - the forum
    will continue - whatever obstacles it finds put in its way from time to time

Doesn’t matter if someone visits just the once and gets an answer that they’re looking for, and then disappears for ever more (although many peeps are ‘lurkers’ I recon by the numbers that many posts are viewed)

As established members fall by the wayside, be it a perm. ban, just changed direction, natural wastage, death, etc, then new members rise up to take their places, again, that’s life in all its glory and dogged resilience

Sure there’s been many highly knowledgeable persons that have simply ‘vanished’. Often we don’t know why, sometimes we may have an inkling but, not much we can do about such things and we all can choose to either visit and/or be a regular member of the forum or not - important to remember it’s the person that has the ultimate choice to stay, visit just the once, ask questions only, offer help when they feel able to, get over a little cross words with another member or ultimately ….. walk (unless perm. banned)

Thanks to Screwfix, Peter the Mod, and the others (sorry don’t know your names) for another year of hosting the forum and let’s all enjoy this new year and just get on with life ……, and the forum

Cheers guys and all the best

Rulland, Mr Rusty and screwfix.peter like this.
  6. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Although I miss the knowledge of those that have gone I don't miss the pages of argument as the pedants engaged in forum post attrition.
    I come here to both learn and help others where I can.
    Thank you @screwfix.peter for your continued moderation.

Sparkielev likes this.
  7. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

18 years has this been going that long?

Is screwfix 18 years old? I wouldn't of guessed that?

Edit: I just googled, it's 43 years old :eek:

8. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

11 years here, never been banned.

Sparkielev likes this.
  9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I joined in 2004. Time has flown. I am now ripping out installs I originally did as an apprentice and updating them. Mainly commercials.

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I’m still here!! Not been banned, yet…!
    Member since 2003, blimey.

Sparkielev likes this.
  11. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Don’t know when I joined but always enjoy having a look at this site. Like that others take time to offer freely advice to diy questions.

just seen I joined in 2018….still a newbie!

12. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

2018. It’s on your profile!

Peter208 likes this.
  13. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Just noticed your avatar, class

Bazza likes this.
  14. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I remember listening to a PMR radio when the language was not really within acceptable limits, I had a scanner tuned into all the PMR radios on site to try and identify radios transmitting out of frequency, normally caused by aerial damage, the boss walked in, and rightfully pointed out the language was not acceptable. And wanted to post a notice no swearing is allowed on company PMR radios.

But I pointed out to swear is to utter under oath. And many of the words used to the construction worker is normal language, and they do not see it as swearing, the radio licence says use of language which may be offensive to others, it does not call it swearing, so they need to be told which words not to use.

I suggested in jest of course a list of words not to be used on the radio, clearly can't do this, however with packet radio which like this was using text, a list of banned words was actually used.
    That I see as unacceptable, I can see how some one may use a word they do not consider as offensive to others, specially in context, like describing how rough a file is. Or state of body after an accident. I have been told there are no swear words in Welsh, but not sure if there are really any in English either, most swear words do have a real meaning, or borrowed from another language.

I was told as a lad to swear is a sign your inarticulate, you simply don't have a grasp of the language in use, often we have reached the end of a sequence of words so look for something further, poor, bad, worse then we get the non existent worser.

I was banned from DIY Doctor for detailing a dangerous procedure, I clearly did not think it was dangerous, and the guy who complained stopped posting shortly after, ban never removed, but was allowed to register again with same user name. Not same name as used here. The problem was once banned I could not alter posts, or post a correction. So once banned the system operator (Sysop) becomes reasonable for any errors. On one forum the Sysop removes posts, which is also a problem as the posts then don't make sense.

In 1992 the BS 7671 started, it changed in 2001, 2008 and 2018, also in I think 2004 Part P came out and in England that changed, so a post made in by myself a relative new comer in 2008 is likely to still be OK today, but for the old timers, old posts are very likely now wrong. I think there should be a limit, posts over 10 years old should be deleted so we don't get out of date information read with an internet hunt, since this post has many of the old timers reading it, what do you think, should there be a time limit?

15. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Certainly old stuff should be removed. Personally I think that it should not be possible to reply to a topic, if more than (say) a year has lapsed since the last post. That would eliminate the dreaded thread ressurection.

Maybe there should be a maximum word count too? :p:D

16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Woof!

17. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

OK point taken, one of the other forums I use auto has a warning come up with old posts.

18. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Are the regulars/old timers, bats, barn owls?, or a mixture? :p

19. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

It just gets harder to sleep a full night as one gets older.

20. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Obviously, i am a mutt.