The Post Office

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by The Dormouse, Nov 13, 2007.

1. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

The Post Office management must be out of their minds to close most of their outlets in spite of public protests & then spend money on irritating TV ads. urging us to 'pop in' to our 'Peoples Post Office'.

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

It's the old "British Rail" management style - no-one used the railways so they put the prices up, so less people used the railways so the prices went up again....

3. doghouse dave

doghouse dave New Member

As we all know the government, in it's infinite wisdom 'Knows Best' so if they want to close the peoples life line then so be it. Just as long as it doesn't interfere with their long term plans, which happily, will all be sorted out at the next general election. (Am I naive or was that at the back of Gordon's mind when he re-considered the snap election?).

4. EXTREMELYwealthyman

EXTREMELYwealthyman New Member

The Post Office is for poor plebs so I can't comment.

5. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

What purpose exactly do Post Offices serve?
    I can't think of any service they provide nowadays that can't be had else where/done electronically.
    Most branches simply cannot make a profit now, it's just a charity for OAPs who insist on having their pension in cash. It is an out of date institution and should be killed off. Shut them all down.

6. Kokomo

Kokomo New Member

Well, there is this thing where you take parcels to the post-office, pay some money and they magically get sent to where you want them to go. I post two or three parcels every day because I sell stuff on eBay. No courier service can match the convenience or cost of first-class mail, especially up here in rural Scotland. No I don't work for the post-office :) Regards Kokomo

Johnik and Cloudsnapper like this.
  7. Mr GrimNasty

Well, there is this strange service provided by most courier services who will happily pick up from your door.
    And it will actually arrive at it's destination promptly and intact (more often than RM anyway).

It is however true that you are currently being subsidized out of MY English taxes for this 'superior' (pftttt) service.

If you can't be bothered to take it to (even a Parcel Force depot) yourself.

Burn all PO's down, they are a worthless anachronism.

8. Kokomo

Kokomo New Member

I assume you live in a city in the jolly old South of England, where you can order Pizza and get it delivered? Up here in the frozen North where, believe it or not, we also pay taxes, we do not have such luxuries. The nearest Parcel Force office is in Aberdeen 50 miles away. Deliveries in the northbound direction, (from you to me) are surcharged by most couriers. Not so the good old Royal Mail. Of course, strictly speaking, Royal Mail and Post-Office counters are not the same organisation any more so the argument gets a bit grey around the edges. You're absolutely right about the courier collection service but it's the cost I object to. I could send you a parcel for £3.00 by RM which would cost £12.00 by courier. Plus, I work close to the PO so what's the point? Regards Kokomo.

9. Mr GrimNasty

Don't you regards me - you are getting a tax-payer subsidised service - couriers charge the real cost that represents the true cost of the service provided. Get used to using them.

So your council tax is frozen next year?

Who will rid England of this leech like attachment called Scotland?

[Edited by: admin6]

10. sooyar

sooyar New Member

Burn all PO's down, they are a worthless anachronism.

[Edited by: admin6]

11. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Does anyone use a PO anymore?
    Letters- franked.
    Parcels - Courier.
    Car Tax, online.

etc etc.

12. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

Dog licence? Cheaper if your dog is black and white. I had our dog modified so it can't pick up BBC, so I am oK, but worried about other people.

Where will they go? I checked and SF don't sell them.

Swizz

13. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

All dog licences are going digital soon so if your dog is analogue it wont matter if it's unlicensed as it wont work any more once they switch them all off.

14. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

Hotty dog, what are you?

How do I tell if its digital or not? Its widescreen and I managed to get the scart socket to stay plugged in, but it wasn't easy to get the connection. The lead looked the wrong shape, but its in now anyway.

Just off to the doctors to get a tetanus jab.

15. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

The lead should be ON not IN, doggies don't like it up 'em.

16. EXTREMELYwealthyman

...apart from Leaky's boyfriend.

17. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I don't have any friends- boys or girls or doggies - that's why I'm on here too much . :(

18. EXTREMELYwealthyman

Then please accept my apologies for my previous assumption, saddo.

19. Kokomo

Kokomo New Member

Sorry it was a typo, I meant to say "******". Pip Pip!

20. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Saddo. There are quite a few familiarity markers in English – words which take on an ending to make the word sound much more familiar, or everyday, or down to earth. Ammunition becomes 'ammo'; a weird person becomes 'weirdo' aggravation becomes 'aggro'. They like it in Australia a lot – "good afternoon", they don’t say that so often, but 'arvo', 'arvo’'is the abbreviation for afternoon in Australia. And in the 1990s you had this rather interesting word 'saddo' – that’s the adjective sad with this ‘o’ ending, spelt with two d’s: s-a-d-d-o. I

t came in as a kind of a rude word really, a mocking word for somebody seen as socially inadequate, or somehow rather unfashionable, or contemptible in some way. You might hear somebody say, "oh, he’s a real saddo" or "she’s a real saddo" – it can be for male or for female. It’s from the word sad of course, from oh, way back in the 1930s, where 'sad' here doesn’t mean miserable, it means pathetic, and that was a use of sad that came in at that time. It’s a sense in other words that’s been developing for quite a long time. In actual fact, you can take that sense of sad and trace it all the way back to Shakespeare, although he never said "saddo".