The Rad Mag - Any good or gimmick?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Everson, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Everson

Everson New Member

Hey guys,

So an occasional poster to the forum and a.complete DIY guy, not a professional plumber. But I am the type who wants his house to be as "healthy" as possible. Just saw this item on plumber parts YouTube , the rad Mag. Are they really any good or is it just a gimmick. Not sure whether to jump on them if it's the next big thing. Ideally I know the best thing would be the magnaclean can but my system does not have any exposed pipes to attach one

What do the pros think who aren't affiliated to the product.

Thanks

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

A magnetic filter is easy to clean and filters all the return water all the time the boiler is running.
    This thing would only collect a little bit.
    If it needs collapsed when removing it would get messy.
    Probably need the walls repainted after removal.

Everson likes this.
  3. Steve Morrison

Steve Morrison New Member

Hi all, I have already fitted several of these devices to both old heating systems and modern systems with ensuites.
    They can work alone or inconjunction with typical magnetic filters.
    You do not need to collapse the extension to remove the Radmag and cleaning is simple with a piece of toilet tissue.
    They are inline as per part L requirements being being both on the flow and the return pipework via the towel rail.
    My advice to anyone fitting one of these for the first time would be use a 500mm or more piece of 15mm pipe to ensure the towel
    rail water way is clear to fit the device. Failing that a hose pipe would suffice.
    I would say James at Plumberparts video is a good one.

4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

I meant if the towel rail is close to the ceiling or a vaulted ceiling it would need collapsed to remove it.
    Just thought it could be a bit fiddly collapsing it whilst trying to contain anything that’s on it.

5. Steve Morrison

Steve Morrison New Member

Hi
    In my experience most people have sufficient room height wise. It's great to able to provide magnetic filtration on systems that have never had it fitted before. It's even collects magnetite when a jar filter is installed on the return to the boiler. Seen the evidence of this myself. Try one and see for yourself.