The roof that stopped on an internal wall! Help please!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Crazyhorse, May 14, 2019.

1. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse New Member

Evening all,

My roof and rafters stop on my internal wall as my external wall is my boundary.
    In my roof space I can see the damp on my rafter plate.
    I’ve attached a couple of pictures but as you can see my gutter runs directly above my outer wall.
    Has anybody seen this before?

How do I solve the damp issues? Should I look at extending the rafters to add soffits? And approach the neighbour about having the gutter over hang their land?
    The other side is not so bad but would probably benefit from rafter extensions and fascia and soffits with vents?

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

021BB476-33F9-487A-9DC6-316CE5847B4F.jpeg

2. xednim

xednim Active Member

roof hasn't been build yesterday and there was no issue in the past so why you want to change it now? damp patch on the rafter plate just indicates that there is a problem on the roof/joint/gutter that recently appeared, in my opinion will be better and cheaper idea to get a roofer with long ladder and inspect the roof.
    going over neighbors land with extension isn't good idea- they might agree for now but in the future someone can ask you to remove it as they are loosing 1m2 of sun light ;)

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

Can't really tell from the picture but it looks like the house might have had exterior insulation fitted. Perhaps there's been an error in the installation.

4. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse New Member

No insulation inside or out. But thanks anyway!

5. ajohn

ajohn Active Member

Could be that the gutters just need cleaning as lit looks like the gutter goes out further than the roof.

:mad:Damp in loft space. Don't mention it too me. It can come from all over the place and the source needn't be where it shows. Loft insulation can cause problems as well especially on older properties that don't have the correct membrane under the tiles. Some properties were reroofed with the wrong type for a while as well. Adding roof vents is supposed to sort that out.

Real leaks that were rather marginal in our case was fixed by replacing the lot. Only signs of it was very very slight damp in a timber. Hardly noticeable after a roofer tracked it down.

John
    -

Crazyhorse likes this.
  6. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse New Member

Gutters are clean, the gutter sits flush with the external brick coarse. Under the gutter is lead flashing and clay tile, beneath the tile is cavity.