The time has come to cut taxes!

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Astramax, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Must be a general election coming soon? ....:cool::rolleyes:...different day same old carp.

koolpc, WH55 and Bob Rathbone like this.
  2. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Well I am 90 this Monday ( what happend to the last 50 years )
    Yes I have an NHS pension that I payed into for circa 30 years but it was compulsory
    I could of done with that 6.5% payment when the kids were young
    I worked for 45 years and 5 weeks in total
    The OAP is added to my private one.
    I pay tax on the total amount.
    And now pay for my TV antenna
    Just seems a bit unfair.
    But thats my opinion.
    I admit its better that having to scrounge from the system.
    So maybe I can class myself as lucky

Johnny M

3. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Let me be the first to wish you a very happy birthday Johnny.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  4. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Ending the automatic free TV licence for older people, many of whom have mobility issues and in many instances live alone, was a nasty move by this Government withdrawing a benefit from those who are also facing financial hardships after over ten years of retirement.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

@JOMEL....you have forgotten the £500 cold weather payment we get, the £10 pension bonus we get for Christmas, bus pass and free medical prescriptions. ;)...my track record was 50 years 3 months and 5 days.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  6. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

It was not the Government that stopped the free licence, it was the BBC.

HarryL1234 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Not quite. They were funded by the government until 2015 who then forced it onto the BBC. The BBC then decided it could not afford to cover the costs so they then scapped it, so it reallity it was the Government.

The Happy Builder likes this.
  8. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

We get our wages pay tax on it
    Out of said wages you fill up the vehicle pay tax on that
    You go shopping for food pay tax
    Book a holiday pay tax
    Any pension pay tax on it
    Go for a drink pay tax
    We work to pay tax

9. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

10. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi Astra
    Point taken
    It just feels tight .
    I chat with 2 guys on tills in ASDA
    70/73 retired but need to keep some income,
    It should not get to this.
    Bye the way guys I only drink a good MALT WHISKY
    Well I have to spend my OAP on some thing.
    Or it will just collect in the bank Smiles .

Keep going boys,

Johnny M

WH55 and Astramax like this.
  11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Got around that tax trap...........eat little, lose weight and buy kiddies clothes from the Man at Mothercare range, no VAT. ;)

Sparkielev likes this.
  12. The Happy Builder

from your linked document:

“The level of the fee is set by Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport after consultation with the BBC. A key element of the licence fee settlement, announced in July 2015, was that the BBC would take over funding free licences for the over-75s.”

The Government paid the licence fee for older people and sets the fee that the BBC can charge, if the Government had carried on paying the licence fee then presumably the fees would have not increased so much for everyone, utter regardless of if they had a free licence or not.

To be honest virtually everyone was stitched up, the fees went up for everyone and the older people lost their free licences as well.

13. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I suppose the problem with handing out money to pensioners without any reference to their actual needs is unfair.

I have 43 years in a private defined pension, remember them! Then took early retirement at 60 with a lump sum and full local government pension despite going early. They just happened to be looking for people to go and I jumped at it.

8 years later am probably better off than I have ever been as my outgoings are minimal. House paid off years ago. The £500 winter fuel payment is just an unneeded bonus. Colleague of mine of the same age with same sort of work history opted out of the private pension scheme and she's on her uppers and will be working well past her pension age. She could have gone at the same time as me but couldn't afford to.

Can't say I planned it this way, it just worked out for me. Just using this as an example as to how two people of similar age and work history can end up in a totally different situation.

14. The Happy Builder

Pensioners have near million pound pension pots having worked all their lives for large companies, but they genuinely are in the minority.

Some pensioners can also sell a home in the South of England then buy a magnificent retirement home elsewhere, often just by selling a former Council house or flat that they moved into as a tenant, but again that doesn’t happen in all of the regions within the UK.

Astramax likes this.
  15. RegB

RegB Active Member

Quite. Now, with the level of debt we have, that should be reduced first. Every household knows this.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Lets start with the £5000000 per day! ......per chance?

arrow likes this.
  17. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Think you are underestimating there Astra, more like 7 million a day that is just for hotels.
    That along with foreign aid needs to stop.

Astramax likes this.
  18. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Definitely all driven by the political need of an election next year. The only fault I see to Hunt's plan is that most of the tax breaks will go to those who are most likely to vote Conservative, surely it's the 'floating voter' that must be attracted. But then I am not a clever politician.

Astramax likes this.
  19. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

That’s the government! The local councils, you pay council tax, parking fees but it’s not enough for them as every disingenuous method to gather more money from motorist is employed.

Sparkielev, Jord86 and Astramax like this.
  20. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Not taking a partisan line here, but for the current government, it’s now a case of stoping the hemmorage of swing voters , so an attempt at retention, much like companies that offer you discounts at renewal . Labour never great at managing the economy, have traditionally come into power when treasury coffers are full. Now the coffers are largely empty and perhaps Hunt is trying to flush out what remains so he can return the famous note to its owners that read “there is nothing in the kitty” !

Bob Rathbone likes this.