The Use Of 1.0mm T + E In Domestic Lighting Circuits and 5 amp SO's

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JP., Jan 24, 2018.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

If 1mm is 16a clipped direct I would have though .5mm for the same method would be half that though, 8a so in air 10a. Weird that table tbh.

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Given that it is likely to be lighting and under insulation, is clipped direct appropriate? I would suggest the conduit/insulated would be a better rating.

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Sure, but on the other hand but I've never come across a 2 floor house that uses insulation in the ground floor ceilings...new builds maybe? That was my line of thinking anyway.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

New build and extensions. Just looking at plans for one big extension and that requires it - possibly noise rather than heat but given that there is little difference between them, then you need to consider it "insulation".

5. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

New build stuff and alterations and additions and even de-rating 1 mm it will sit there all day on a 6A

That will do me.

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Much cheaper though if you are rewiring hundreds of houses a year...which I am not.

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

1 mm2 is too flimsy? Eh?

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Another thread which is becoming ridiculous, there's absolutely nothing wrong with 1.00 mm t/e on a 6 amp mcb in a domestic environment.

leesparkykent and unphased like this.
  9. GavP

GavP New Member

Ive used 1mm for the last 10 years and never had an issue. Regarding volt drop if circuits are designed well and split into various circuits I don' see an issue. Regarding fittings now everything should really be led so load so low. I see the point of term screws biting through cores but I've never had any issues as I always double over the cores. Really can' see the point in struggling to get 1.5mm in back boxes tbh nothing to do with cost, all I know is we mainly fit recessed downlights and 1mm is far far easier to work with

10. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

I bet wholesalers sell more 1mm twin skin that 1.5mm.

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I'm actually looking forward to using 1mm now for lighting, however will still use 1.5mm for security and 5 amp so circuits.

12. I have yet to meet an Electrician who uses 1.0mm t&e or a job where it has been specified.

13. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Been using it for a few year esp with spotlights

14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I use it on house rewires. There is no reason not to use it.

15. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

1.0mm for lights since 1970's. Never a problem. 1.5mm for immersion heaters. 2.5mm for ring finals.

Kind regards

16. leesparkykent

There is 7 on this very thread .

17. leesparkykent

As for 1mm being to flimsy.....You must be an absolute Leanderthal with a screwdriver.

18. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

No, Bazza, 2.5mm2 for immersion heaters..

19. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Always used to be 1.5 Un. That was the only thing 1.5 was ever used for.

Kind regards

20. I have never said it was not suitable,but I much prefer using 1.5.