The Use Of 1.0mm T + E In Domestic Lighting Circuits and 5 amp SO's

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JP., Jan 24, 2018.

1. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Screwfix Select

The only time I ever used 1.5mm² t&e was when it was specified on the rewires of council houses back in the eighties, I thought it was stupid then as there was only 4 lights on the ground floor and 6 on the first floor on separate circuits.
    And getting three 1.5s in an old fashioned batten holder and patress with heat resistant sleaving was a b a s t a r d.

2. Who mentioned anything about using a screwdriver or teminating it.
    Why the need to stoop to throwing insults about.
    If it gives you a thrill and amuses your braincell so be it.

3. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Touch a nerve did I?

4. Far from it.
    I was having a good laugh at the immaturity of someone resorting to insults because they use a different size cable.

5. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

That's cool then. Because you are so mature you then led by example and replied with an insult?

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

1.0 mm in the average domestic 4 or 5 bedroom house with 2 lighting circuits. For commercial and bigger houses either split up the circuits or use 1.5.

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Now that LED lighting is becoming the norm there is even more of a case for 1 mm2 T&E. 30 or 40 LEDs at 5 W av. each is only 150 W or 200 W total. There is just no load in comparison to what there used to be. You would be very hard pushed to get 1 kW of LED load, that's 200 points at av 5 W each. 1 mm2 T&E always has, and will continue to, easily handled any domestic lighting installation.

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Guys would you use 1.0mm for 5 amp so circuits? Reason for asking is I always design in these circuits, and normally these circuits end up in my 35mm back box with lighting circuit. Thus a lot of times I will have the lighting circuit and 5 amp so circuit in the same 35mm back box (sometimes I have more circuits) this switches centre lights, and also switches 5 amp so from outside room you are going into. Just to clarify I always have 5 amp so's on own circuit and of course lights on another dedicated circuit. Loadings for 5 amp so's? negligible, and go on 6 amp mcb always.

9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Only ever used 1.0mm on lights in domestics. Pallets of the stuff in our wholesalers. They stock 1.5mm too, but not pallets of it!

sinewave likes this.