The wrong kind of hole... Recommendations for fillers please.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by BotchItBruce, Dec 21, 2020.

1. BotchItBruce

BotchItBruce New Member

I have a window pole which sits on a boss, which screws on to a plate, which itself is screwed into a 170 year old brick wall, via rawl plugs etc.

Except I haven't, because it's worked its way loose over the years, and bigger and bigger screws (and rawlplugs have all failed, until I'm left with 35mm diameter hole in the wall, about 35mm deep, with an uneven back to it.

Now I know that the thing to do is to fashion a wooden plug, screw through that into the underlying brick, plaster it all in and then screw the plate to that, but I suspect that the wood I used for the plug was a little too soft and it simply cracked in half.

Rather than spend time trying to fashion a new plug out of harder wood (and I'm doing it by hand, rather than in a machine shop), is there a suitable foam filler or similar that I can use to fill in the hole with a view to screwing into it? I tried the Ronseal deep hole filler to no avail.

2. ejenner

ejenner Active Member

A piece of the original wall material (brick?) can be glued into the hole with a strong adhesive. Then a skim of ordinary filler to make good over the top.

The problem with any deep holes is that repairs take time to dry properly. Weeks sometimes. If covered over too quickly you'll get cracks where the water is evaporating out of the filler.

Cement also works for deeper holes. But it requires a surface to bond do, it'll bond well to the edges of a jagged hole. Takes a while to dry (weeks) and leaves a rough finish which will have to be filled over.

Could also fill the whole thing with something like gripfill but as stated... lots of anything like that stuffed in a hole will take ages to dry.

3. I can't see why your wooden plug didn't work. I had a 200 year old stone cottage and of course you never hit a stone when fixing curtain poles, towel radiators etc. So I just fashioned a plug, bigger that the hole and whacked it in with a hammer and when fully home cut it off flush. Worked every time with soft wood. I'd have thought hard wood would be more likely to split. Give it another go.

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Did one at work yesterday. Mortar made with quickset cement. Fill hole suitably dust free. Before set tap in suitable plugs. Next day fit fitting

5. Foxer7

Foxer7 Member

Use isopon 2 pac dries quick and hard as nails

6. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Watch a Fred Dibnah video to see what you can do with wood plugs.

Jord86 likes this.