theater lighting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by fast, Aug 25, 2006.

1. fast

fast New Member

hi i have a pulsar 3x5A dimmer pack. with a din lead for the electronics with loose ends. what can i do with this lead to control the lights???

i have more infomation standing bye if anybody can help

2. Pyro

Pyro New Member

3. Owain

Owain Member

You put pulsar into google and the second result is for Pulsar Light of Cambridge.

Find what you've got under Products and there should be a link to the relevant Manuals. The most likely product is Minipack.

If it's 0-10V then

3 Channel Minipaks:
    Pin Left Socket Right Socket
    1 Low Voltage Supply Out Low Voltage Supply Out
    2 Earth / Ground Earth / Ground
    3 Channel 1 Thru to left socket pin 6
    4 Channel 2 Thru to left socket pin 7
    5 Channel 3 Thru to left socket pin 8
    6 Thru to right socket pin 3 Channel 1
    7 Thru to right socket pin 4 Channel 2
    8 Thru to right socket pin 5 Channel 3

The DIN sockets are internally wired to allow a 6 Channel Desk to
    control two 3 Channel Minipaks. If the Desk is connected to the Left
    Hand Socket (the one closest to the Mains Cable) then slider 1-3 on the Desk will control channels 1-3 on the Minipak. If the Desk is connected to the Right Hand Socket then slider 4-6 on the Desk will control channels 1-3 on the Minipak.
    Connecting a standard DIN cable between the remaining DIN Socket on the first Minipak (e.g. right) and the opposite socket on the second Minipak (e.g. left) allows sliders 1-3 to work the first Minipak and sliders 4-6 to work the second Minipak.

You apply 0V (off) - 10V (full brightness) to the appropriate terminal. This is for analogue control - there is also DMX digital control which is a bit like MIDI, but for lighting.

4. twin&earth

twin&earth New Member

OWAIN,
    thanks for your help sounds like you know these packs inside out.
    can you tell me more about DMX as i have a a sound blaster exity sound card with din outputs for MIDI.

Now are you sayin that i can control them via the 2 MIDI conectors on my sound card????

5. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

forget it, MIDI and DMX are two TOTALLY different things and are not directly compatable