Thermal store + wood-burner (HELP)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Chris J, May 11, 2017.

1. Chris J

Chris J Member

Morning Guys,

I'm looking to install a word-burner / central heating with thermal store as our only heating system (don't have any other cost effected options). Finding it very hard going getting reliable info on such a system, just wondering if anyone has been down this road and could share their knowledge.

Or if anyone has any good web-links on this type of set-up that would also help as I'm just going around in cycles, when I think I have a understanding I read something else and I'm at a loss again.

Oh the good life less stress :)

Chris

2. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Hi

It's simple, just zone valves, pipe stats, cylinder stats, etc

3. G&W Plumbing & Heating

What do you want to know?

4. Chris J

Chris J Member

My thinking on the system:

Heat dump radiator in the loft space.

Pressure relief valve to the outside.

Header take to replace and loss to the system and dump for any over heated water.

Heat coil to supply hot water.

Some valve set-up to send all heated water when thermal store is at temperature to the radiators- this I hope will stop it boiling.

I'm probable barking up the wrong tree, but then that's why I'm here asking question.

Kind Regards
    CJ

5. Chris J

Chris J Member

So folks know where I'm coming from with this, the house is rural and isolated no gas - electric is unreliable oil far to expensive, wood is the only real option. Gas/oil would be so much easier.

Things I want to archive:

Winter Time:
    Heating that stays warm over night so we don't wake to a cold house, hot water for showering in the morning.

Summer Time:
    Hot water showering etc.

I have no fixed ideas so very open to suggestions, I just want to get it right first time of the bat.

Kind Regards
    CJ

6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Look up air source heat pumps!

7. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi,
    I have installed this type of system,
    When using solid fuel coal or logs, you need to think a little different than when using gas or oil.

The big difference is that you can turn off a gas or oil boiler, with a switch.

Solid fuel is different, still ok to use, just approach the job with a bit of thought.

For example, to control the heating and hot water, well, the thermal store is piped up as a gravity system, open vented, and the thermal store temperature is controlled by a stat, that switches a pump on the distribute the heat to the radiator system.

These more to it but that's a start

Regards
    Peter

8. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Hi

To be totally honest, I love systems like this, each design is specific to that systems criteria.

It's not really something I'm happy to advise someone with for "DIY"

Im happy to provide a complete mech spec for clients and then install, to try and advise you through this step by step would be a nightmare, it's just not that simple