Things....

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lectrician, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I would much prefer to see any URL links placed in posts be clickable and open in a new tab/page, rather than directing away from the forum.  All other forums do this as standard, and it has to be in your intertest too, retaining users on your page.

When a user deletes a post, any replies to this post SHOULD NOT be deleted.  Some users abuse this and so people circumvent it by replying to the OP instead of other replies, still risking their post content if the OP should be deleted.

There is also a bug in the picture upload facility - It nearly always says there has been an error, but the picture still appears.

Right clicking highlighted text should ideally still bring up an option to cut/copy/paste, rather than just the Jive formatting options.

I am not keen on the way the forum stacks posts in threads making them "threaded" - The flat replies are far easier to read through, and are what most forum users are used to - Perhaps this option should be set to "flat" rather than "threaded" by default to stop confusing new users?

I am also seeing a bug recently where new posts in a thread are not viewable to me until I make a reply to the thread too - I can see the thread has new posts from the message index, and the top of the thread, but the posts are not there to see, until I post something.  If I then delete the post I make, the hidden posts remain for me to read - I end up posting a reply like "test", and then delete it.

Email notifications would be good, as would a private messaging system.

I am not sure on the point of "documents" over discussions - People are creating "documents" when there post would be better suited to the discussions forum.  They must wonder why they don't get replies.  I would consider removing this feature, or atleast monitoring is closely, and moving documents into discussions (if this is possible).

Due to the type of content the forum recieves, being able to quickly use sybols like "² ³ ¼ ½ º ?" would help - Most forums of this nature have these symbols as quickly available as emoticons.  Being able write 2.5mm² and 20? for example.

2. screwfix.alex

screwfix.alex Member

Thank you - lots of good points, some of which I am confident are in the forum settings, so could be altered. For example, changing threaded to flat by default is a very quick change, but I'm getting advice from Jive on how that might affect things like historic posts.

Some of the other points are procedural, so please leave this with us and we will attempt to resolve as much as possible for you.

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Good point about the links Lec. On most other forums they automatically open another  window/page. On the SF forum, I have gotten into the practice of right clicking the link and selecting "Open in new window.