This evening's random stupid thought

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Joe the Plumber, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Corona-virus.

Corona-tion Street.

I gather soap kills the virus, so perhaps our scientists could look into this.

And I've not even been drinking tonight....

Final thought. Some wag on another forum I use posted this morning that he was so bored in the lockdown that he'd started ringing Indian call centres saying he'd heard they'd had an accident.

2. Joe the Plumber

The way it's going, I think maybe the virus will kill off the soap(s) first.

3. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

4. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Wouldn't that be great! Would be glad to see the end of Coronation Strife, Emmerdeary and Nastyenders.
    All a waste of time for anyone to watch a lot of over paid non productive people.

5. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

A lot of people, especially old or disabled people, like watching soaps. It gives them insight in to worlds they might never experience again.
    My "line manager" at one of my jobs said she watched Eastenders to find out about people who had a "s*****r life than hers.
    Some of them don't earn all that much . In my first office we had a lady (long since dead) who was in Coronation Street in the sixties;), who did not appear in every episode
    and as they are all I think self employed she only sent in her invoice for her appearances.
    Since then I agree some of them along with other so called celebrities are on mega buck contracts but not on a par with premier league footballers.
    I and my wife who is disabled and cannot get out much do watch them, but in the present crisis I am finding it difficult to concentrate on TV when so much of it is so banal.
    Any way I can't see many strapping, butch:rolleyes:builders watching soaps. They will be down the pub andthere is always the on off button
    You could always do a "Gordon Brown" and put your boot through the Screen.

Heat likes this.
  6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

My mother could make Hyacinth Bucket look amateur and used to watch Corrie (to see how the other half lived I think) with my father when he was alive. "We loved watching it together" she would declare which surprised me a little knowing my father as I thought I did.

When he died and we moved in with her as her carers we used to set up Corrie for her to watch and leave her to it - as I would rather watch paint dry.

Anyway she lost interest after a few months and said she had gone off it.

In the meantime Mrs Eckerslike sat through Neighbours with her at lunchtimes and realised that mum was struggling with the storylines. Neighbours! I could tell her the plot overhearing it when I carried a sandwich in for her.

That's when I realised how much I did and didn't know my father. He would have hated watching Corrie but was prepared to sit through it and explain it to my mum. The power of love - as they say.

7. WillyEckerslike

's*****r'

There are over two hundred seven letter words that would fit.

Answers on a postcard but I'm going with 'scarier'.

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  8. PaulBlackpool

No Think No2
    you are winding me up and I fell for it:)

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  9. WillyEckerslike

I had actually worked it out but thought there may be some interesting variants

I chose scarier because the plots on the soaps get more and more ludicrous.
    I wondered about 'slacker' given she was your line manager...

There are others..

10. PaulBlackpool

Remembering the lady involved I think that the descripion "scarier" applied to her more than the soap opera she watched.
    She was a nightmare at first but I think we had a bit of mutual respect when we got to know each other a little better.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  11. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

I've not seen Coronation Street for ages. Can one of you regular watchers tell me if Ena Sharples and Minnie Caldwell still go into the Rovers Return? Also how's Albert Tatlock these days?

Heat likes this.
  12. PaulBlackpool

If they do they must go in spirit as they would be about 130 years old LOL:)
    You forgot Martha Longhurst to complete the triumvirate.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Heat likes this.
  13. timotay

timotay Active Member

This should clarify the position.

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Here's a stupid thought............paying into a pension fund!!!!!!!

Joe the Plumber and Abrickie like this.
  15. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

:D:D:D:D

16. Joe the Plumber

Our pension fund is 57' long and lives in the canal! Balls to banks, we were determined to enjoy it while we could.

PaulBlackpool and Astramax like this.
  17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wise man, good luck to you.:);)

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  18. PaulBlackpool

I like it now I have worked out that it is a boat.:) A longboat in fact.:D
    It is amazing what a bottle of Pinot Grigio can do for you.;)

Jord86 and Joe the Plumber like this.
  19. Joe the Plumber

Thanks Paul, although it's actually a narrow boat. Longboats are for Vikings!

Mind you, at least you didn't say 'barge'....

Mrs JtP would certainly agree about the Pinot!

The real bummer is although we've got it, at present of course we can't even go to it, nevermind use it. In this lovely weather, that's really disappointing.

20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

At 7.30 in the morning, I’m amazed what a bottle of Pinot Grigio is doing for you :) and I’m liking the idea.

Joe the Plumber likes this.