Tighten nut to fix drip?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Decastro, Mar 14, 2019.

1. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

googled it then
    its not the ratio of gas to air google again
    no i'll tell you its the mass {the amount of matter contained within a body) back to my school days there for a mo
    so as the mass is to small it want ignite you need to know shuch things when working in the eviorments i work in
    loosen nut thing read again if you cant grasp it ask someone to explain it to you if no one will i'll ablige
    infact you need to read my posts properly as they are ment to help take 5 and resond accordingly

2. gas monkey

i know and i've just lost me nut oooooo

3. gas monkey

well h your haets in the rigt place if you are beliving in what you say got go for 5 my laptops getting hot we must stop this for a bit its doing noone any good

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Some of the people enquiring on these forums are genuinely clueless - not a criticism, a fact, which many will admit to.

We do need to be very cautious about the solutions we offer to people who are not only inexperienced with what they're tackling but often poorly prepared for what might go wrong and how to react if it does.

Just because we can do it doesn't mean they can!

Honestly likes this.
  5. Honestly

Honestly Member

WillyEckerslike - Gas Monkey - Bad advice can cause injury and harm to Naive members of the public.
    I am happy to give true and factual based knowledge from years of experience bringing prosecututions in court of such things in the plumbing/ gas /building industry. I find it very hard to tolerate the behaviour of so called professional/ persons who advise on this forum who act irresponsibly, mislead members of the public with incorrect advice that can lead to serious injury or death. In gas/ electrical/ water stringent regulations and laws are put in place to protect members of the public. It is therefore the reason that only qualified and registered/ regulated professionals give advice. However that advice is limited on such a forum for good reason so as not to encourage unregulated naive members of the public to carry out any such regulated works. Furthermore the individuals on this forum who clearly give bad advice who are not qualified or who are and breach regulations that they are assigned to appear to think it’s a joke, a laughable situation in encouraging people to do things that are potentially dangerous. They also encourage flouting of such regulations. There actions are a serious breach of regulations in the gas/ water/ building industry - posing as a professional giving bad advice, It is a criminal offence and can lead to prosecution.
    Perhaps now when the persons concerned read this post may just think and act responsibly and realise by misleading people can lead to another persons injury or death or damage to property. Now they are aware they are being monitored
    Honestly

6. Honestly

Honestly Member

Spot on - it’s called duty of care to the public

7. WillyEckerslike

Not sure how I'm at fault here but hey.

8. Honestly

Honestly Member

WillyEckerslike - You are absolutely NOT at fault here - the people concerned know exactly who they are and have no doubt read my post.

9. gas monkey

your not hes got his in his hand over a price job he quatednfor then abusive then bordering on idecent carrector destring and mainly miss understanding or totally missleading what you say sad really i try to get on with everyone

10. gas monkey

you need to cut back all the insulation around the nut so have a look and you will prob find another nut on the cylinder hold thet one and tighten the outer the cylinder want shear pull against youself rather than the fitting in the cylinder

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I remember some years ago when mine was leaking slightly from where the coil was fitted into the tank, to save draining down etc. I made up an open ended spanner from a length of 3mm stainless steel that I had around so that fitted between the olive back nut and the tank, just a quarter of a turn solved the problem.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What is your experience Honestly?
    You say you can't do lots of things but never what you can do.
    You have called gas monkey a gimp and posted rude gifs but never answered a question.
    I'm calling you as the troll.

13. Halfpint65

Halfpint65 New Member

Gas monkey, you seem very knowledgeable, and I dont have the problem you're discussing at the minute. I was 'bleeding' the radiator when the knot broke off. Someone mentioned that I could drill into where the rest of the knot is, and put a small screw in that would save me the cost of another radiator. Is that right? I have no idea about plumbing!

14. If the radiator has 1/2" tappings,remove the bleed valve and fit a new one.
    [​IMG]You can also buy the Nipples.
    https://www.bleedscrews.co.uk/more-bleed-valves/

Halfpint65 likes this.
  15. techie

techie Screwfix Select

Some of these replies need paragraphs otherwise they are not readable.....

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If the lack of paragraphs is your biggest problem then you're lucky :)

17. Decastro

Decastro New Member

Just in case anyone was wondering - here's an update... I only attempted the fix just now because I've only just got a tool delivered that was big enough to get round the nut...

So as per one of the posts I turned the nut anticlockwise just a smidge in the first instance - I was shocked at how easily it turned. I thought a great big crusty old nut was bound to be hard to turn but not at all. Then I turned it clockwise until it began to feel a bit tight - and hey presto - not a single drip so far!

So thank you for the help - and I'm sorry it seemed to start a big battle :-( !!

18. WillyEckerslike

Good feedback thanks. This will help others who have the same or similar problem in future (and who can pick their way through the fight you inadvertantly started).

ramseyman likes this.
  19. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

It must have been like attempting to defuse a bomb, you must have been sweating cobs.
    I honestly can't believe that you made it out alive.

Heat likes this.
  20. gas monkey

could have been a tap type fitting with rubber or fibre washer behind it cut up a cylinder to show you on sunday put pics on when have time and fittings on them had washers watch this space