tightening bolts when carcass has solid top?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by StevieGall, Jan 12, 2019.

1. StevieGall

StevieGall New Member

hi everyone, long time reader first time poster

been in the carpentry trade about 10 years now and actually this past and incoming week is the first time we will have done kitchens in a large scale way,

its a small site so we are fitting all the carcasses first them coming back down the line with the worktops to really get a feel for it

as per the title i can forsee a problem rolling round the bend, to borrow from the man in black

the corner base units have a solid top so i cant figure out how to tighten the jointing bolts,

without turning the worktops upside down but then being unable to judge the top of the two pieces lining up

or

without setting up like 5 trestles and jointing it in the main space in the kitchen and lifting it from there,

both of my solutions could be problematic because the sink cut out is right beside the joint(like 250mm from it)

so please rain your knowledge upon me so i can look like a badass on monday, please?

2. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

I normally Just put a cut out in the location of the Bolt big enough to get the bolt in or a holesaw if the Allen key style bolts

3. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Just cut holes in the carcass where the bolts will be.

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Yep as above.

Neat holesaws from inside the cabinets.

If any are impossible to do up like over wirework etc see if you can joint say one and lift it in. Or more preferably slide it from convenient jointing position to finished position. If that makes sense.

Zipbolts etc make awkward tightenups a lot easier

5. StevieGall

StevieGall New Member

i thought cutting 3 what like 50-75mm holes wouldnt be the done thing tbh but you know what they say

one person telling you something might be wrong, but 3 people telling you the same thing and youre crazy not to listen

i might be able to partially slide it off the cabinets just enough to tighten up the bolts too, plus i only really need to slide it off enough to access the nut side of the bolts from the next cabinet, ty goldenboy

6. cliffk

cliffk Member

Simple ... cut slots in the solid corner base top as said above, its the normal way, slots can be marked out to align with the bolt positions before finally fitting the tops and cut from above using a jigsaw (leaves neat cut edge on the inside) insert / tighten bots through the slots

7. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Holesaw 50mm should be plenty of room to do up bolts. EasyBolts are great or just fix them in place with a couple of pins or a blob of grip fill.

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Holesaw from inside the carcass to save blowing laminate. Zip bolts as mentioned