Tile flush to plaster

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by baracus, Sep 24, 2018.

1. baracus

baracus Member

Hello

Our new bathroom is to have tiles on the floor and tiles on part of the wall. On the walls that are to be painted I wanted to plaster them on double plasterboard so that the plaster and tiled finishes are flush.

Any experience of this and how best to achieve it, plaster first or tile first?

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

Who will be doing the work?
    If you, then just start with one and make the other flush with it.
    If you're bringing in a plasterer and a tiler, then you should ask them and see who is the more accommodating of the two.
    That said, it's better to keep tiles uncut, so if you tile first, you can easily plaster down to the top of the tiles. Otherwise, you're trying to tile to fit in with the plasterboard.

3. baracus

baracus Member

Not me, a tiler and a plasterer - they dont know each other,.
    I would have said the same, ie tile first then plaster to the tile level, my only concern is that I assume floor tiles should go in before wall tiles go on, hence if the floor tiles are in, is it ok for the plaster to finish to the top of the floor tile ie in terms of water running on the floor?

4. rogerk101

This is a bathroom ... if the floor tiles of a bathroom can't cope with water running on the floor, then you've got the wrong floor tiles.

5. baracus

baracus Member

Well, Im going to be using polystyrene ceiling tiles on the floor, left over from my kitchen refurb.

6. baracus

baracus Member

I was talking about where the plaster finishes at floor level on top of the floor tiles.

7. rogerk101

That should be interesting when men 'miss'.
    "We aim to please ... you aim too, please!"

8. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Use a shadow gap bead on the painted walls, or perhaps consider a tiled upstand/skirting.

9. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member