Tile height versus unit height

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Scoobs72, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 New Member

Tiled floor onto 18mm ply going in after units fitted. Dilema - do I:
    1. Leave units at standard height and scribe the plinths
    2. Put the legs on 18mm ply
    3. Put the legs on 30mm blocks (full height of plyadhesivetiles)

thx

2. Stretch

Stretch New Member

One thing you need to take into consideration is if you are having any freestanding appliances under the worktop. It is always advisable to tile into these areas so that the appliances can be removed for servicing etc and as most appliances are 850 - 860mm high then they won't fit.

Raise the units sufficiently to allow succesful installation is your answer!

:)

http://kitchenfittersforum.com

3. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 New Member

There's just an integrated dishwasher going in. My real dilema is whether to go for option 2 or 3. Option 3 will make it easier to remove the dishwasher for servicing if needed at a later point, but means that the tiles can't be run all the way up to the legs. Option 2 means the tiles can be run all the way to the legs, but the legs will have to be set higher than I would prefer and the dishwasher will be harder to remove at a later date.

4. Stretch

Stretch New Member

Have you actually started any part of the installation yet?

If not, ply the entire floor area (a lot easier this way) then fit the kitchen. Don't worry about the unit height too much but if you want raise the legs up an extra 10mm. Tile the floor last thing, and tile into the gap where the DW is going. Don't tile up to integrated appliances. If they need servicing or repair most srevice engineers won't touch them if they can't access them easily

5. karl mjps

karl mjps New Member

I've never had any problems with 12mm ply

I always ply the whole floor area

Fit the units, tile, then run the plinths through a table saw to fit

You should tile entirely underneath appliances, making sure first that they will fit under the worktop height after tiling

Also you need to think about end pannels and fixing these after you have tiled the floor. These may also need trimming. You now need a friend with a TS55.