Tile lay out - hallway through to kitchen

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Kieron Mitchell, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Kieron Mitchell

Kieron Mitchell New Member

hi all

I am about to have my downstairs tiled, with large format rectangle tiles (500x1000)

When you enter the house the hallway flows through to the kitchen on the left, and the dining area & lounge to the right. My question is should i have the tiles centered based on the hallway? or layed either side of the centerline ? or any other suggestions for a lay out. I am going to go with staggered brick pattern

thanks!

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

It’s a question of trial and error - loose laying a few tiles and seeing what looks best (obviously without tile adhesive)

You’ve given no dimensions of hall so impossible to picture how the tiles will work out either side at skirting board

As you’ve suggested, tiles in hall either perfectly centred or whole tile either side of centre line and work outwards but, this really depends on what your left with at wall junction

As your going with large format tiles, once you start cutting tiles in half, they don’t look so good and less than half should be avoided if possible

If you have tiles on site, play around with them and see what looks good, also discuss with your tiler

If he’s a good guy, he will have tiled hundreds of metres and will instantly know what’s going to look best

Obviously once you start in the hallway, this then determines kitchen, lounge, dining room so again, you really don’t want tile slithers at edges

‘Setting out’ is mega important before a single tile is laid

Good luck

Kieron Mitchell likes this.
  3. Kieron Mitchell

Kieron Mitchell New Member

Thanks ! appreciate the quick response. Here is a pic attached showing the space either side. The width is 930mm wide, and at the door opening bit its 1800 wide

Attached Files: